Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can anyone here help me with wiring custom gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone here help me with wiring custom gauges?

I've got a 93 Camaro Z28 and I'm having a fabricator make me a stainless steel mounting plate for the gauges. Does anyone have any advice as to how I should do the wiring? There are two wires I'm unsure about.

First, is the alternator wire. Someone told me that GM wired the car up so that if you remove the gauge cluster, it disables the charging system. They said that in order to "trick" it, you have to splice the alternator wire in with a switched ignition source...is this true??

Also, there's a thick, orange wire that is in the OE gauge cluster harness, and the wiring schematic says that it's linked to the "ECM BAT" fuse. Do I leave something like this disconnected? If I should wire it up to something, what would I be wiring it up into??
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FURY
First, is the alternator wire. Someone told me that GM wired the car up so that if you remove the gauge cluster, it disables the charging system. They said that in order to "trick" it, you have to splice the alternator wire in with a switched ignition source...is this true??
If this is true then it explains why my car was running shitty when I had to go to the auto parts store in a rush with half my dash removed...