Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Guage install

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guage install

I've finally got all of my guages and pod ready to install. Pod is mounted with guages and wires run to the headlight switch area, but nothing is connected yet. I purchased the autometer pro shift light (link below) and was wondering if there was anywhere else that I could hook up the signal wire to rather than the PCM connector? Is there anything behind the dash that I can properly tap into? I've got to hook up ignition key wires and light wires yet and am not sure where to get hte appropraite power for these. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried the search function but couldn't find anything really helpful. I am hooking up full sweep electronic oil pressure and water temp guages. Please advise where I can hook up the pressure switches for these items. I know I can use a plug that is in the passenger head for water temp, but I cannot fit my arms anywhere near that area. I've already purchased the appropriate adapter for the guages. BTW where is everyone running the wires thru to the engine compartment. Thanks for the help

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by myfast70; 01-25-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone??
Old 01-25-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Tapping into the PCM is going to be the easiest, maybe only, way to get your signal. For your switch (power) just tap into any (pink) wire under the dash you see. All pink wires are switched 12v and the orange wires are constant 12V. And for the lights in the gauge, I tapped into dimmer fuse in the fuse box inside the car. This controls the volts going to the lights in your gauge cluster, so you can dim the light in your new gauges if you want to. Hope this helps, this is how I wired mine, and NO problems yet.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of guages do you have? I Have the Cobalt series and was under the impression that you could not hook them up to a dimmer and you have to get a seperate box if you want to dim them? Or is that a ploy to get you to buy extra parts?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Does anyone actually fuse the 12 volt connection to the guages?
Old 01-26-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Ultra-Lite (AutoMeter) series gauges. I dont think I fused my switched 12v connection, not sure though.

Quick Reply: Guage install