Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Gauge Face Overlay Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauge Face Overlay Failure

Several years ago I installed some gauge face overlays on my '01 T/A. Over the years the fuel overlay has slowly slid out of alignement and none of the indicators are visible at night. I suspect that the adhesive tape has failed. Does anyone know exactly what kind of adhesive backing is used on these things? I recall it looked like several rows of tape were applied since the adhesive protection backing came off in strips. I would like to simply remove the fuel overlay and re-apply it using the appropriate adhesive tape.

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to purchase only one piece of an overlay set?

Thanks for any help or advice.

T/Aboo
Old 01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

For us guys that are about to do the gauge overlay and dont want this to happen, what gauge overlay did you use?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I looked and could only find a reciept that was from High Performance Associates. I couldn't see where they are still in business but I'm guessing that they were just the retailer. The overlays look great; I purchased the silver ones with the WS.6 and firebird logos on them. My car is an '01 and I installed the overlays when it was new; about 5 years ago. I wish I could tell you more. I hope this is helpful.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my Macewen's were junk and would always slip. I kept realigning them but they'd always slip back down every summer. I finally pulled them off and super glued them on. I put just little dots in between each increment and made sure none got where the light was supposed to show through, because it would probably look bad.

Quick Reply: Gauge Face Overlay Failure