Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How do i shave my antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do i shave my antenna?

Id like a nice writeup and details how to go about shaving my antenna. I need to get my rear quarterpanel re-painted because of a dent and i thought this is the best time to shave the antenna. How exactly do i do it and is it difficult? I tried to search but couldnt find any write-ups. Thanks guys!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

You really just have to replace that spot with a small panel and properly fill it in smoothly with an appropriate material (something like bondo). I'd say more but I don't want to state something incorrect with respect to these types of cars.

I've seen it done on TV but the panels were already made of average metal. So it was simply a matter of removing the antenna and support and then cutting/welding in a new piece of metal into the hole. Then do some body work, primer, and paint. Same with 'shaving' door handles, keyholes, and so on.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Remove the antenna, trace out the hole on a piece of paper/cardboard, cut out a piece of metal and then bend it to fit the contour and weld it in. Then coat with bondo and sand smooth, then prime and paint. hardest part is going to be getting the contour right on the filler piece.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

So if you shaved the antenna, how do you get any radio reception, or are you just screwed and have to listen to cd's all the time?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Only lamers listen to FM! There are "hidden" antennas that stick inside your window or near it. I have one on my Sonoma but the reception still sucks. I have XM anways so it doesn't matter. If I ever repaint my car the antenna's gonna be gone.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get her drunk, coax her into taking a shower with you and then promise her that she will like it better than you do!
Old 04-19-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

blah blah blah...bla bla bla....bla.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=1&pp=20

Quick Reply: How do i shave my antenna?