Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detailing Guys, ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detailing Guys, ????'s

Started to attemp detailing my truck yesterday evening. Knew I wouldn't get it all finished, but do a bit now and finish the next day. Got to my hood and noticed that I had some overspray and typical swirls. Was unable to get the swirls out, but was not really prepared supply wise. Was just using a regular liquid wax.

I have never used the clay bar, and to be honest am a little leary-intimidated by it, I don't know how easy it is to screw up good paint with it. The paint is in overall very good condition, but there is some overspray, light swirls, and a few light scratches, I'm sure I'll find more once I dive in further.

Looking for some good advice on cleaner/polishes/was to use to help remove the overspray, swirls, and scratches, and just max the paint look better. I would prefer not to spend a ton of $$$$, and buy locally say at an Autozone or O'reily auto parts. I just didn't know it the clay bar is the best of if say a Mothers or Mequirs cleaner wax would be able to help with it.

I have searched and seen plenty, but I guess am comfused when it comes to cleaner wax vs polishes etc....... I used to just think that wax was wax was wax.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using a claybar is actually pretty easy but you need to be patient with it since you typically work small areas at a time. One of the best tips I can give is to keep the surface you are running the clay bar over very wet. I recommend using a spray bottle with some soap. All you need to do is spray the area and run the clay bar over the paint surface. No real pressure is needed. Work the area with the bar until it slides nice and easy and doesn't feel to be catching anything off the paint.

Fold the bar over every little bit to get a nice clean clay surface to work with. Put a towel below the part of the car you are working on in case it slips out of your hand and falls to the ground (happens sometimes). You do not want any small rocks or anything getting on the clay for obvious reasons.

To remove the swirls, use any kind of swirl cutter (I prefer Tropi-Care) and work the product into the paint with a microfiber detailing cloth. Better and more even results can be achieved by using a orbital buffer but this will get you started. PM if you need any more help. There are a lot of knowledgable people on this board that will fill in any gaps in my advice and offer more so.

Good luck.

-Brian
Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Blackbirdws6 summed it up perfectly.

But I might add, don't be intimidated by the claybar process. It is very hard to damage your paint using a claybar unless you drop it on the ground and bring it right back up on the paint again.

You can use some swirl cutter compounds to remove the light swirls but it'll be pretty tough by hand. I would suggest investing in an orbital buffer but you mentioned you would prefer the cheaper products found at your local auto store. So, if you can't get the swirls out by hand, you may try Meguiar's Scratch-X. This will also be hard to see results by hand by you will see some none the less overtime of doing it over and over again. But, keep in mind that Scratch-X only fills swirls. It will not remove them. So just like wax, overtime the swirls will become visible again after washing your car.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

for a clay bar .. Mother or Meguiar's .. either will work and should be available at your local autoparts store ..

simple to use .. just follow the instructions .. Blackbirdws6 gave you a quick run through up above .. only change I would make to that is I prefer using a quick detailing spray for my clay lube, as it prevents me from having to rewash, and I have seen some car wash soaps cause the clay to break down prematurely ..

The clay bar will remove the over spray ..

to work on the swirls .. if they are light .. order some TC-8 from www.tropi-care.com they will get it to you in a couple of days, tops ..

if you can't wait that long, and are going to do it by hand, then I would recommend either some Meguiar's ScratchX or Meguiar's #2. then follow that with some Meg's ColorX which has some filler in it, and will help with the swirls you couldn't get by hand. you could even top that with a carnuaba, like Mothers gold or Meg's #26 .. Mother's Syn wax would also be a good choice for your last step product, if you asre going totally store bought ..

if you don't mind waiting a a couple of days .. order the TC-8 and TC-3 from tropicare .. that will set you up well, and not more than a couple bucks nmore than you would spend at Autozone.

Once you clay, you need to wax to re protect ..

steps would be:

wash
clay
remove swirls
wax

should be able to get what you need fairly cheaply ..

Quick Reply: Detailing Guys, ????'s