Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can these scratches be filled and polished on this console piece?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can these scratches be filled and polished on this console piece?

These scratches are from the sparks that landed there when I was cutting my shifter shorter with the dremel. Is there any solution I can use to fill in the scratches and sand or polish it down to a smooth surface again? This piece seems to be pretty expensive. Unless someone else has a new one for sale? It's off an LT1 automatic Firebird/Trans Am console.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could wet sand it and then use a plastic polish to fix it. May be a little tricky if you can't get the clear plastic away from the console. Wet sand it with say 1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000 then get some plastic polish/cleaner and go at it. Shouldn't be much different than doing dulled tail lights as far as process.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

where can i get sandpaper that high of a grit? i'm certainly going to take it out of the console to do it. just a few bolts.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

pepboys
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the sanding thing good for headlights too? When i got in an accident in Nov. they replaced one of my headlights, now the driver's side is nicer than the passenger side, and i had forgotten about it but my friend just came home after being gone and said something about it, so im lookn to fix it.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
is the sanding thing good for headlights too? When i got in an accident in Nov. they replaced one of my headlights, now the driver's side is nicer than the passenger side, and i had forgotten about it but my friend just came home after being gone and said something about it, so im lookn to fix it.
Yea it does, the haze on your headlights is on the inside though so you will have to take it apart (you put them in the oven to loosen the adhesive holding them together). Do a search on hazed headlights and there should be a writeup somewhere.

Quick Reply: Can these scratches be filled and polished on this console piece?