Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID and fog light

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID and fog light

I installed HID to my Montana van yesterday. Today I notice that the fog light was gone. Also, the high beam light up on the dash in my van. I didn't pull the fog bulb out yet. But they both working fine b4 HID installed. I notice that my GP had the same problem, fog light was gone after HID installed. Now I'm wondering will the same thing happen if I install HID to my Firebird. I really want to have fog light (for look )

Couple questions, will HID power circult affect the fog light? If I install aftermarket fog light using headlight power, will it be the same and won't light up? I'm going to install PIAA fog light to all three cars (GP, Van and Bird) and trying to think where is the best place to tap power out using the stock fog light switch. I don't really want to route an extra wire and switch inside the comparment. Please give me some advise.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Some older vehicles wiring cannot stand up to HID's, and some vehicles need a relay. What year is the car? What kit is it?

I WOULD NOT install fog lights directly to your headlight wiring when you are using HID's, it would be drawing too much power on start up and will most likely blow your fuse or burn up some wiring.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've a 2000 Grand Prix and a 98 Montana EXT. The OEM fog didn't on both cars. Grand Prix have McCuthon 5300k (sp?) and Montana have Taiwan non-brand 6500k. I read from CGP that I need to install a resistor to make the fog work.

Since I've HID, fog light most likely is for look. But the wife still want fog light in her van. So I guess I'll put in some blazertech 3200 in the van as well as GP. I'll also put in PIAA fog in my Firebird. Should I tap a seperate power source for the aftermarket fog light? If so, where is the best spot?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by darknessxyz
I've a 2000 Grand Prix and a 98 Montana EXT. The OEM fog didn't on both cars. Grand Prix have McCuthon 5300k (sp?) and Montana have Taiwan non-brand 6500k. I read from CGP that I need to install a resistor to make the fog work.

Since I've HID, fog light most likely is for look. But the wife still want fog light in her van. So I guess I'll put in some blazertech 3200 in the van as well as GP. I'll also put in PIAA fog in my Firebird. Should I tap a seperate power source for the aftermarket fog light? If so, where is the best spot?
I would run them directly to the battery, and make sure you have aninline fuse. That would probably be your best bet, and just run a wire through the firewall for a switch.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
I would run them directly to the battery, and make sure you have aninline fuse. That would probably be your best bet, and just run a wire through the firewall for a switch.
With this "non-working-OEM-fog-light" situation, is it still possible to use the stock fog on/off switch? If I route the wire and tap into the stock switch, will it be the same "non-working"?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Its different for all types of cars. If you run it directly to the stock fog switch then you should be OK. If you try to run it to the wiring in the engine, and use the stock switch you would have to make sure the computer is tuned for the fog lights.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, one of the HID dead today. I need to check and see if the bulb or ballast problem. Good thing it still has warranty on it. I'll do some inspection tomorrow and see what's related...