Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

help with front springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with front springs

ok ive never changed front springs, i hear they are a beep and a half, any helpful hints on how to make it easier? a walk through would be incredible! i have some stock ones coming, attack of the sawzall again tonight
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ls1howto has a good write up about changing them. Its pretty easy. You'll have to have a spring compressor of course and a T50 Torx bit. Those are the only things that I didn't have laying around the shop. When you get them off soke the top nut with wd-40 or something and let it sit a little while so you can get it off easier. Because it will be rusted. Just follow the write up on ls1howto, take your time, and have fun. Good luck! It really isn't difficult
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02trns_am
Ls1howto has a good write up about changing them. Its pretty easy. You'll have to have a spring compressor of course and a T50 Torx bit. Those are the only things that I didn't have laying around the shop. When you get them off soke the top nut with wd-40 or something so you can get it off easier. Because it will be rusted. Just follow the write up on ls1howto, take your time, and have fun. Good luck! It really isn't difficult
pretty much what he said. just for ur caution, be careful with the spring compressor. if u dont do it right, it can be dangerous. make sure the compressor is sitting right on the spring and that there is no way of it getting lose and the spring flying out and hitting someone.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I forgot to say that....Definitly take the time to make sure the spring compressor is on there really good. Everybody says don't use power tools but I did and didn't have any problems. If you want to be extra safe I would just use hand tools though.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k wont be digging into it tonight, the guy who is getting the free springs for me didnt get them off yet, he works at a salvage yard but ill be sure to check it out