Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Interior options

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior options

Ok, here is my dilemma:
I got a 94 Firebird couple of years ago, I am now starting to do things to it.
I am trying to reduce the weight everywhere possible. At the same time I am trying to keep things aesthetic. Interior is my problem now. What are my options?
Obviously the stock seats got to go. Carpet will have to be replaced due to wear and tear, but it will not help me with weight reductions. Rear seats are going out, permanently.
My center console is loose and top panel on the dash is destroyed, don't ask me how, thats how I got the car... Now, I am not planning to keep center console, since I will be doing an engine swap for ls1 in 08 with t-56. Right now its an automatic.
I just took the headliner off, because the fabric was beginning to come off.
And I got couple of interior panels off. The interior is all gray, and I'd like it all black. I guess one of the questions is going to be: should I paint all the interior panels black, or just try to find the ones that are already black. What about custom molding, I'd like to work the roll cage right into the unibody, then I may have some problems fitting the stock panels back on there.
Next question is dash: In particular it's looks like crap. Cheap and plastic looking. I would like to do something about it, I am thinking about custom fiberglass dash, but I don't have any experience of with fiberglass. I thought about carbon fiber, but that can get pricy, and I don't know how to work that either.
Basically, my vision for interior is toss almost everything and make something cool. Maybe someone here will talk some sense into me... Of coarse some of you may just help steer me through this project.
This is why I love this forum, where other places people will tell you "Don't do it, it will take too long, it will cost too much, it will be do difficult..." Here people tell "What the heck, go for it..."
Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 PM

As for your interior trim, all of the major discount parts stores sell paint (dye) specifically for interior and upholstery applications. I've not used it myself, but have talked to some that have and most have experienced good results. The key is in the prep. Get everything clean, even the back sides before any paint application. You might even want to check out some of the adhesion promoters available as well. Unless you get a smokin' deal on some used interior in the color and condition you want, when you're ready for it, I think painting the interior panels is a viable option. On to the dash... Are you going for a full on race car, or will you be keeping the street driver attitude? Personally, I think I would try to track down the broken pieces you need, and maybe think about covering them with a leather look vinyl or suede for a little bit of an up-market attitude. If you're thinking of building a full custom race car dash, exposed aluminum and visible bracing is the way to go, imo.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

for some of the interior replacement parts, check out gmpartsdirect.com
Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

im re-wrapping my entire interior in black vinyl. also i have to cut my rear hatch panels and sail panels to clear the tub. i went with the vinyl because i did my boss'(what he wanted) interior in a black interior paint by sem and it wore off or faded after a few years. also for your dash pad you can probablly get one from gm or find a used on here. also when they go to mach up your bars have the interior panels your worried about present and see if they can move the bar a little more inward so it wont be a huge problem. dave hartman of burkhart chassis has a full tub on the car and a 25.5 cage and he has his complete interior back in the car.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

i did a search check it out what i found. i still like the idea of black with orange pearl but heres one thats done in orange itself. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ke#post4584875
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
im re-wrapping my entire interior in black vinyl. also i have to cut my rear hatch panels and sail panels to clear the tub. i went with the vinyl because i did my boss'(what he wanted) interior in a black interior paint by sem and it wore off or faded after a few years.
I was afraid that the paint will give out over time. I am planning to hang on to the car, so I don't mind investing some time/money to do it right. How is the vinyl working out. I think that will be the way I go. Still indecided though... You have any tips for starting that kind of project?
Thanks