Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubber window guides keep popping up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rubber window guides keep popping up?

I have a 96 TA and the rubber window guides that attach to the top of the door have come loose. There seems to be some clip mechanism that holds them on, but every time I push them down, they pop back up.

Do I need to replace these pieces? Has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rivets
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Is this the piece you mean?

(Not my car in the pic.)

On my car, I replaced the two plastic push-in pins/clips with two screws from Home Depot. I don't remember the size though. I think they may have been #6 or #8. Basically, I got 3/4" long screws that were just wide enough to bite into the fiberglass without forcing the hole larger. I brought the push-in plastic pins into the store with me and bought screws where the body was roughly the same thickness as the pin, but the threads stuck out a bit wider.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe he is talking about the outside weatherstripping on the door. Mine used to do that too, it gets pretty annoying. What happens is the metal clips end up breaking off so it no longer gets held down. You're basically going to have to pull it off and replace it. I got a great set of from the junkyard. All you have to do is pull off the door panel, once that is off, you'll see about 3 or 4 felt strips bolted to the top of the door. Remove those, and you can move the window back out of the way. Once that is out of the way, pull old strip off, and replace with new/used one. Be careful when you go to put the new one back in, you don't want to break those clips off too.

If you're lucky, that's all you'll have to do. Could also be that holes where the metal tabs clip into could have broken off.. which if that's the case, that'll call for some fiberglass repair.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The outside weather stripping on my 2000 Z is doing the same thing. I push the pieces back down and in no time at all they are back up. I looked into my door when the windows were down and it looks like the fiberglass where the little tabs sit is broken apart so it won't hold the clips like it should so I would like to know too, I don't want to buy a new door but it is irritating.