Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Wheels.. Advice.. Help please photo shop request

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Wheels.. Advice.. Help please photo shop request

Hey.. sorry but i searched. Im going to try to paint my stock chrome wheels black in a few weeks. I know that its really hard to strip the chrome yourself, and i read/researched that unless you really scratch up the chrome good it the paint will not stick. Should i just bring it in to try to get stripped or can i do it myself w/o looking shitty. If anyone has done this id appreciate the help. Also if anyone wants to photoshop my wheels black i'd appreciate it. Again, sorry if this is a repost or something.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails Painting Wheels.. Advice.. Help please photo shop request-transam2002vt2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Launching!

I don't get this need of so many people for black wheels. They look like CRAP/ for the most part at least. Nothing looks better then a set of chrome wheels. Attempting to paint chrome wheels yourself = big mistake.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schnell
I don't get this need of so many people for black wheels. They look like CRAP/ for the most part at least. Nothing looks better then a set of chrome wheels. Attempting to paint chrome wheels yourself = big mistake.
some people like black wheels just as much as you like chrome ones. its all personal preference!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

im just trying to figure out HOW to paint my chrome wheels. should i just wet sand and sand and sand some more then prime the **** out of it then paint it or what?..
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im also going to be painting my chrome 10 spokes the only reason is because the are peeling to the point of rusting and i clean them non stop. im just going to start out with a fairly rough grit and work my way up. i figure it should work out fine if not ill redo them.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
im also going to be painting my chrome 10 spokes the only reason is because the are peeling to the point of rusting and i clean them non stop. im just going to start out with a fairly rough grit and work my way up. i figure it should work out fine if not ill redo them.
hey how long do you think it was going to take you to do this. m T/A is daily driver so really only have a full day and a half to do it.. you t hink thats realistic?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Launching!

I sanded my chrome zr1's with a 3m quick stipping wheel from auto zone, looks like a sponge but hard as hell, then went over it with 500 grit and then and good thick epoxy primer and then painted them and it has held up better than my old stock ss wheels with factory silver powdercoating. The Final paint I used is the Ceramic Engine paint from dupont, also bought at auto zone, it looks good and does not get f-d up by brake dust.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Launching!

oh yea, use the stripping disc on a air dremel, will not work with a drill like the directions say, the chrome it too hard to get off and the drill does not spin fast enough.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not trying to insult you, but you'd almost be better off buying another set of rims that're already half-*** painted and call it good. Painting rims Black is most often a horrible decision if you have no real experience. You don't really need to look at the F-body crowd to see this, just take a look at the local honda crowd. If you want good looking results I suggest having them done, buying new black rims or getting them powder coated. I realize you'll never learn until you try, and hell, you might actually do a good job.. but often times even a good spray paint job on a set of stockers still looks cheezy as ****.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
I'm not trying to insult you, but you'd almost be better off buying another set of rims that're already half-*** painted and call it good. Painting rims Black is most often a horrible decision if you have no real experience. You don't really need to look at the F-body crowd to see this, just take a look at the local honda crowd. If you want good looking results I suggest having them done, buying new black rims or getting them powder coated. I realize you'll never learn until you try, and hell, you might actually do a good job.. but often times even a good spray paint job on a set of stockers still looks cheezy as ****.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

You can get a primer etcher that is made to go over chrome. My brother used it when painting his bumper and mirrors. I think it was "bulldog" brand name.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superdrake06
hey how long do you think it was going to take you to do this. m T/A is daily driver so really only have a full day and a half to do it.. you t hink thats realistic?
i painted rims once before with a DD and it took 8 hours doing 2 at a time cause i didnt have any jack stands. i had the car for about 6 more months and sold it and not one peel or chip was there. i started at 150 grit cause the wheels were rusted and used some normal primer, duplicolor black wheel paint, and duplicolor clear wheel paint

Quick Reply: Painting Wheels.. Advice.. Help please photo shop request