Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Brake Calipers

Anyone have a good tutorial or method to doing this? I don't want to screw it up and if I have to have my car apart for a good day I don't want to do it again if I don't have to.

P.S. Anyone have a good color suggestion for a Chameleon Blue/Green car with silver decals? I was going to have a silver trans am decal on the caliper but I can't make the caliper silver also it wouldn't work out.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Painting Brake Calipers

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post102743
Old 08-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Teching In

I wanted to sand mine before, will sanding by hand work or do I need to get a sander? if so, which one and where? thanks. The grits I need are 60 to 1000 right?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to sand mine before, will sanding by hand work or do I need to get a sander? if so, which one and where? thanks. The grits I need are 60 to 1000 right?

If you are not going for a polished look, and will be painting the calipers, it is not as important when choosing the right grit sandpaper.

Start off with a Dremel to get rid of all the sharp edges and casting flash, then go over each caliper with a 100 grit (or something close to there) sandpaper, and then once the whole thing is nice and scratched up, use a finer grit like a 200-300 grit or something and smoothen it out. Once you start laying on paint, it will look smooth.

To give you an idea, here is a picture of my caliper after sanding but before painting. You can see, some of the old paint is still showing, and you can still see the scratches from the sandpaper.

Here is a picture after painting....looks smooth to me!

Quick Reply: Painting Brake Calipers