Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project "RETRO" Moving Along - Need Inputs - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Project "RETRO" Moving Along - Need Inputs - Please Read

The plan is to give my modern 1998 Formula WS6 many of the "muscle car" styling cues that are long gone, but still run a modern power-plant in a modern car. This was the initial plan:

- Heater box gone with block off plate (done)
- Rewire harness and eliminate excess and ugly wiring in the engine bay (done)
- Mount PCM inside car on firewall (done)
- Mount Hawker Genesis battery to stock battery location with custom hold-down
- Entire engine bay painted semi-flat black
- Engine block and water pump painted red
- Aluminum heads unpainted
- Coils relocated to under side of cowl
- Intake and smoothed valve covers painted metallic silver
- Red plug wires
- !ABS (done)
- !PS (done)
- !A/C (done)
- !heater (done)
- !emissions (done)
- TH400 tranny with t-brake (will use stock A4 shifter modified for reverse 3-speed)
- Weld Draglites all around (BFG Radial TAs on rear 275/50-15 and Skinny radials on front)

Car is intended mostly for drag racing with occasional local cruise ins and shows. May even pull the headlights out to save some extra weight off the nose. Will still have the Formula fog lights if it gets a little dark

Now, what I am currently thinking, and I need some feedback on this. I am considering reworking the entire instrument panel to accomodate Autometer gauges. This would include Speedo, Tach, Shift Light, Fuel Level, Coolant Temp, Amps, and possibly Tranny Temp, N20 Pressure, etc. The gauges will be the Sport Comp variety (least expensive and I already have a few in that style).

The question is, how to address some of the wiring issues such as the fuel sender, amps, water temp, etc. If anyone has input, let me know. The speedo is easy because it is a standard TH400 setup, so I can use a regular cable for that. What else am I missing? I have LS1 Edit to get around codes. The SES light will be replaced by a simple Yellow LED. Any PCM issues with these ideas? Car is originally an MN6.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Project

Sounds like an awesome project - but just a tad over my head! Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Project

Well water temp usually runs to a sensor in the intake (near the waterneck).. since you dont have this sensor you would have to tap the block "somewhere" that has water flow. I have no idea where but this is what you would have to do.

For Oil pressure there should be a way to tap into the info from your oil pressure sending unit in the back of the manifold. Volts is easy to tap into and fuel I have no idea but I would GUESS that there is a sender and perhaps you can tap into that.

If you going retro the Stewart Warner makes a new POWER series of guages that have a retro look to them. Also, I have some brand new Autometer Ultra Lites for sale at a good price. Good luck with the project, it sounds innovative and I like that

Quick Reply: Project "RETRO" Moving Along - Need Inputs - Please Read