Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Has NE1 w/ silver or white face guages changed out the bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:11 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has NE1 w/ silver or white face guages changed out the bulbs

I was just browsing and noticed that they have different colored bulbs for the guages and LEDs too. So I was wondering if anyone has changed them out and if so, if you used the regular bulbs or the LEDs. I'd like to get the red LEDs, but if its not worth getting LEDs or changing them out regardless, then I wasnt going to mess with them. What color are they now? I never really paid attention nor took them out of the cluster. I didnt know if you did change out the bulbs if you would really notice. If you or someone you know has done this with their silver or white face guages, please post some pics. Thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has NE1 w/ silver or white face guages changed out the bulbs

When I installed my Macewen White gauges I also installed the blue 4 bulb LED's in my cluster and now it has a deep blue look at night. Kind of like the new VW Beetle dash, looks very cool IMO.

No pics though as my digitial camera doesn't take low light pics. Red would probably look good too but not my taste. Don't waste your time with regular bulbs or single LED's, just get the 4 bulb LED's and they will be plenty bright.

If you want to see the stock color just go look at your car at night with the lights on!
Greg
Old 08-07-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I installed my Macewen White gauges I also installed the blue 4 bulb LED's in my cluster and now it has a deep blue look at night. Kind of like the new VW Beetle dash, looks very cool IMO.
I love the lighting of the Z06 gauges, it's a really deep blue color as well. Would I get a similar appearance in using these?
Old 08-07-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Z06 use a type of paint that glows when exposed to a black light. There are no bulbs per se.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SS LS1: Did you get the bulbs from the same place you got the layover from? Is there any way that you could get some pics? I know that your camera doesnt take low light pics, but Im sure your bound to have some buddies who do have one. I love you car, its sweet. I looked through your pics and I would have to say, it made a night and day difference between the silver ZR1s and the iForged! Ill probably will go with red since Ive got a red, black, and chrome theme going, but I still would like to see what blue looks like. Thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the compliments! I appreciate it very much! The custom built wheels were the crowning touch to my car, but the long build time is a killer!

Yes, the LED's are from Ryan Macewen and they work very nicely. I'm sure they red would look just and good as the blue I have if that is the color you like best on your car. Remember, you could always change them in the future if you ever wanted a different look too.

I've taken pics before but ther results are less than stellar, just doesn't do justice to the gauges in person so I never posted them. There was a post around here recently about blue gauges and someone posted a pic of their gauges that looked very good. Mine look just as nice as in that pic. Maybe do a recent search here and on the other LS1 board for the pic. If I get a pic from another camera it will be a couple of weeks out before I see my bud with a better camera.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Z06 use a type of paint that glows when exposed to a black light. There are no bulbs per se.
Actualy, I spoke with a Z06 owner on this recently and he said that they were backlit, and that it was just a deep blue backlight. I trust that he could tell the difference in phosphorescent paint and a backlight

so you're saying that the gauge cluster on the Z06 is lit from the front by a UV light, and the numbering on the front is actualy phosphorescent paint, correct?
Old 08-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Teching In

MacEwen Silver Gauges with MacEwen Xenon Clear Bulbs:

Looks stock, but you can see the numbers light up a bit more blue than the stock gauges, and the extra brightness comes in handy with the overlays.

I used 8 bulbs (5 for the gauges, 2 for the turn signal, and 1 for the hi beam).

Mike