Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Xenon or LED bulbs for guages/instrument panel lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Xenon or LED bulbs for guages/instrument panel lighting?

Im stuck between the 2 and I wanted to get some opinions. According to MacEwen' site, the red..."colored bulbs are about equal in brightness to your stock bulbs. This is because red glass filters out most white light. I wanted to do red because of the color scheme Ive got going. If you arent going to be able to tell that red bulbs are in place, then I wasnt going to even worry about messing with them. Whether the red Xenon, the red single point LED, or the red 4 point LED wasnt going to be noticable, then it looks like Ill be sticking with stock bulbs unless theres another alternative. If anyone is using any of the red bulbs, could you please post a pic(s)? Ryan at MacEwen suggested that if I wanted to go with red, then to use the Xenon because a bulb itself would put out more light than it would a single or 4 point LED. He says that the bulb puts out 360º of light while the LEDs only put at a ray of light. I know that the LEDs in my turn signals arent that bright, but then again, they arent pointing outward. (facing downwards) Im sure there is a difference because I would assume that the light only needs to be pointing in one direction because its lighting up whats in front of it. He also states that the single point for some reason puts out more light than the 4 point. I dont know... , Im just passing along the info that I got and I want to see what you all have to say and what I should do. Anyhow, sorry its so long, but I wanted to get as much info that I already have, pass it along, and get more opinions. Thanks so much and any help is appreciated.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Xenon or LED bulbs for guages/instrument panel lighting?

Go with the bulbs.

From what I have seen, the LEDS are hideous in our clusters.. because LEDs are only bright when you look directly at them, that results in "hot spots" in the cluster... the parts directly over the bulbs will be brighter than the rest of the face.

Go with the Xenon bulbs, the brightness of the bulbs should not be a problem because the red is such a contrast with the silver or white faces.

If in doubt, call up Ryan MacEwen and talk to him about it... he recommended the Xenon bulbs when I ordered mine, and they light very evenly.

Mike
Old 08-12-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Xenon or LED bulbs for guages/instrument panel lighting?

I'm about to try a different approach at changing the illumination.... theater gel.
I bought a sheet of it to cut to size and stick behind the overlays, should work good!