Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Best waxing Process?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best waxing Process?

Hey guys, I have a black 2001 WS6. I recently used Meguires Gold Class Liquid, and it looked pretty good, but it probably could have looked better. Anyways, after a wash, it started to look dull again, and the car just didn't look as nice. Now I know if you wash it, it will take some of the shine out, but I just want more for my car. I'm willing to take as much time as I need to make it look good, so i'm not worried about the length of time it takes. Mainly I want something that will give my black car depth, a nice smooth shine, and a wet looking glossy finish, with few or no swirl marks if possible. I know this is a lot, but can you guys give me any products, and procedures in how to do this? Tell me what products you used (besides Zaino), and what order you did it in, procedure, etc. I really appreciate your help and info guys! I just want my black car to look its best. Thanks a lot!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 06:25 AM
Launching!

Default Re: Best waxing Process?

Well, the caranuba based waxes do not last as long as the polymer (Zaino) waxes. I'm using Meguiars, (just did my first full strip, polish, wax) and we'll see how it looks after washing.

To add on to your question, can I just put one layer of wax over the previously applied layers? Maybe do that for three weeks then start it all over again?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 2002 black T/A and have used meguires and just about all the waxes i could find to try to accomplish what you are looking for. I am really sorry to say but the only wax that has come close has been Zaino. I don't know if you have used it in the past, I was the same as you a wax is a wax. But after I used zaino and followed recomendations / tips on their website my car looks totally awesome. I have never received so many compliments with any other wax. Break down and get some of the stuff. It may be a little high on the price side but the smile on your face is well worth it.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

POLISH POLISH POLISH POLISH POLISH

No matter what you use if you don't polish it won't look good. I don't care if you're using Zymol Royale ($4000 wax), its gonna look crappy without polish.

Get some menzerna polish and do the whole car, then put on what you choose (zymol, zaino, etc).

You can get the polish at www.properautocare.com, and I've found it to be the best I've ever used. On black cars I reccomend you use both the intensive polish and the final polish, this helps eliminate alot of swirls.

For the deepest shine on black you need to polish the hell out of it and then use zymol carbon wax (or concours or destiny if you want to spend more $$). They don't offer the length of protection that zaino does, but the shine is alot deeper. Meguiars wax - I've had terrible results with it it just isn't as high quality I feel. Oh and also, if you don't want to use the zymol, get pinnalce souveran paste wax - that is excellent as well.

-Tom
Old 08-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your washing your car and it looks dull then more than likely you are using too much soap. The general rule is one ounce per gallon of water. I think I use one ounce for 5 gallons, maybe even more water. The dirt doesn't adhere to your paint, it is stuck on the wax, nothing very little soap and alot of water can't handle.

However, in regards to your shine, if your willing to go crazy this is what I would suggest.

Clay (Clay Magic)

Compound then Polish, I like the 3M products, you'll get bad feedback from others because no one can use the products correctly, just a matter of reading the instructions and detailing like you care for the car, not like your name is Jose and you need to detail 100 cars in 8 hours. The compound will really cut away at the hard grime and nasty stuff the clay couldn't remove. Then you polish, that will remove the mico marring left behind from the compound and get rid of the "dull look" the compound leaves.

From there I use a very very mild cleaner called Klasse AIO, I use this to rid my clearcoat of oils and fillers (yes, a polish does contain a very small amount of them) and to give the surface a good non oil based shine to start with that I can layer anything on whether it be oil based or a polymer.

If you want to use wax I would suggest Meguiars glaze then Meguiars high tech yellow wax.

I had a red 2000 Saturn, people would tell me it looked like my car was just sprayed with water because it had the physical "wet" look. Meguairs products are very easy to work with and yeild great results not mention they are inexpensive and easy to locate. People get used to other products probaly because they don't require as much work and shine as good or better (as they feel).

Don't forget about the wheel wells, tires, rims, glass and rubber moldings. Clean paint is part of a clean car.

So aside from my jabbering, this is what I would do:

Clay
Compound
Polish
Mild cleaner or a glaze
Wax
Old 08-13-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you waxed your car untill you had your perferred shine and lost it after your first wash you are using the wrong wash. Do you use dish detergent? If so dont, it will not harm the paint but will take the wax off. Use car wash. Dont forget to dry your car with 100% cotton towel. Dry till there are no more smears.

Quick Reply: Best waxing Process?