Sponsored by:

More trans problems - advice please - 418ci motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More trans problems - advice please - 418ci motor

Hey guys,

Since my days of a H/C car, i have had nothing but transmission problems. It has seemed to continue to haunt me. (Went thru several "Stage 4" and the like 4l60's back then)

Yesterday i finally got my 418 tuned. I should be making 630-650hp at the flywheel. I plan to spray ~300 on top of that once i get everything lined out.

My current transmission is a 4l80e built by a local guy. It has all TCI soft parts in it, and the trans go stg 3 full manual conversion. It also has a TCI nitrous converter.

This new 4l80 has about 300-400 miles on it. It was basicly me putting around for break in miles, and a couple spirited passes with us tuning on it yesterday.

Here is what the transmission is doing:

1-2 shift is kinda soft and weak. It does not feel good at all. Feels like what would happen if you put a huge stall in a stock transmission and it was kind of slipping as is shifted.

2-3 shift feels good, but it is delayed. Once you shift into 3rd, it takes a good second or second and a half before it actually tries to shift. This shift feels crisp, but nothing to brag about.

At this point im REALLY getting frustrated. I have a lot of money in this transmission, and was hoping a 4l80 would solve all my problems for me.

I have a second 4l80e sitting here that is all stock. Im considering putting good clutches in it, and just running it and letting the computer control is. One of my biggest complaints about the full manual 4l80e, was no longer having lockup.

I would appreciate some advice on this. Im ready to go fast, and my transmission is once again haunting me. I dont have much $$ left to play with, so buying the "biggest baddest" 4l80 from a sponsor at ~$3-4k just isn't in the cards. I have already spent a lot of money, and would just like to get something that would work.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you in stall the internal vacuum modulator in the valve body ?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been doing a lot of research on the 4l80e, I'm building one for my car also. I read there is a lockup torque converter for the MVB, but you will need to put a switch on it so when you want to lockup the converter just flip the switch, The modulator it what controls the pump pressure sense the computer don't not control the trans.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Ive been doing a lot of research on the 4l80e, I'm building one for my car also. I read there is a lockup torque converter for the MVB, but you will need to put a switch on it so when you want to lockup the converter just flip the switch, The modulator it what controls the pump pressure sense the computer don't not control the trans.

Yes we installed the vacume modulator.

I read about the switch for lockup, but could only find extremely vague answers about how to actually do it.