Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80E question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6L80E question

Hey guys, great site, a little new here,m so bear with me. I just acquired an l92 & 6L80E package that's going into my 67 chevelle. The package came out of a 4x4 cadillac escalade, so I need to convert the trans to a RWD, is this a simple task, or do I need to take the whole thing apart to change out the output shaft? Thanks, Matt
Old 05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have not done a swap my self, by I would imagine a full disassembly to get the shaft out and a new tail housing. Good luck.

On a side note, are you using the stock converter? I make numerous options for the 6L80, just let me know if interested.

Chris
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by chewyman1
Hey guys, great site, a little new here,m so bear with me. I just acquired an l92 & 6L80E package that's going into my 67 chevelle. The package came out of a 4x4 cadillac escalade, so I need to convert the trans to a RWD, is this a simple task, or do I need to take the whole thing apart to change out the output shaft? Thanks, Matt
Yes the whole trans needs to come apart. It is a flanged output shaft at the very bottom. The good part is you do not need any gasket set the seals are all reusable if they are in good condition.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Ok, well now i'm scared. I've never rebuilt a trans before, but being a true car crafter, I'm open to the challenge. Is there a manual out there that could walk me through the process step by step with pictures & good instructions? I already have the RWD tail housing, so I would need to order a new output shaft & output shaft seal then, is that all? Putting aside the whole issue with good or bad gaskets inside it. Also, is there a shift kit that is made for the trans yet, if i'm in that deep, I may has well add a little spice to the mix right? For now, I was sticking with the stock converter, it's a cruiser, so I want good road manors. Thanks alot guys!