Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal for the tailshaft??**video included**

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is this normal for the tailshaft??**video included**

I have been having a vibration at lower speed that smoothes out at higher speeds. I removed my driveshaft because I thought it was bent, because I could see it wobbling. Then I checked the tailshaft and could move it around with my fingers, which I am sure is not good.

Since I had the DS off I decided to chech the rear yoke for play and it was tight and then I move to the transmission tail shaft and found this:

Last edited by Dr. Jeckel; 06-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes it is normal to be able move it the yoke against the tail housing bushing is what supports it. without the yoke it will just move around

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-20-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply.
Even when the driveshaft was in I could move it side-to-side, up and down slightly (about a 1/16th of an inch)...should this be normal too? U-joints are tight with no movement. Could the bushing be worn out and that is causing the vibration?

Does the driveshaft wobble in the other vids seem normal too? What else could cause this problem?
I even got in the car and incresed the rpms to see if I could feel the vibration and sure enough there it was. At lower rpms and speeds (by the speedo) it was more noticable and as the rpms increased and speed increased it started to smooth out, just like on the street.

btw, this is on a 100k mile car, stock drivetrain w/ lid, cutout and M/T DR's.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

update:
I removed the bolt-in LCA relocation brackets, which I noticed had moved my rear-end a 1/2" back. I took it for a test drive and no vibration like what there was before. I launched a few times also and the car hooked just the same as it did with the brackets. Of course my car is near stock power so that probably is a factor too.
Maybe there is some trick to get them to bolt up correctly but when I put them on the first time it took me over an hour to get them on there....very tight fit. I have installed two cams rebuilt a buick turbo v6 but apparently I cannot bolt-on a pair of brackets so I will be selling the relocation brackets, perhaps someone more adept than me can install them correctly.

James
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In another thread (suspension) there was a write up on the installation, but i would call the people you bought them from, for instructions. The thread was eventually locked. What it said was that the following needs to be loose... TA bolts,Sway Bar links, bolt on the LCA's then retighten TA and sway bar. I think it was the BMR and UMI brackets that were causing the rear tires to go back an 1/2 an inch.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dondb
In another thread (suspension) there was a write up on the installation, but i would call the people you bought them from, for instructions. The thread was eventually locked. What it said was that the following needs to be loose... TA bolts,Sway Bar links, bolt on the LCA's then retighten TA and sway bar. I think it was the BMR and UMI brackets that were causing the rear tires to go back an 1/2 an inch.
To keep things clear the other thread was referring to UMI relocation brackets....
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I went for a ride today and the vibration returned...at 45mph it vibrates the whole car so i am taking the DS to get checked for balance tomorrow and then move on from there.
I had it up on jack stands and at 45mph in 4th gear it is the worst, but if I drop it into 3rd gear and the rpms rise, the vibration isn't as prominent, so this leads me to believe the vibration lies inside the transmission. Of course this car does have 100k miles, so I don't doubt if the trans is giving up...however it shifts great and never misses a beat.