Sufficient cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Sufficient cooler?

This is the cooler I bought a year ago:

http://www.jegs.com/i/B%26amp%3BM/130/70266/10002/-1

I was told my transmission saw hot temperatures in it's past and I wanted to make sure that wasn't my fault or my cooler's. The numbers look pretty good on that cooler and I don't think I beat on my car so I'm guessing it could of been the previous owner? Yea Andy did you do this?

How hard is it to install a temp. gauge and I guess IDK where I would even put it. I like the stock look of my interior. I think the cooler is sufficient and I don't even need a transmission temp. gauge...what do you guys think?

I use the cooler only, not the radiator cooler, I bypassed it.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mount it like this. DO NOT mount it up against the condensor, thats the worst way to do it. The heat coming off the tranny cooler will kill the condensor and blast the radiator with a super heated air blast and it'll make you run hotter.

I used sawed off PVC to make the spacers so the cooler stood away from the frame so air can still ram into the condensor like its supposed to do, as well as flow over and through the tranny cooler. NO need for a temp guage.

I also think bypassing the factory radiator cooling method will result in lower tranny temps for sure. The radiator just keeps the fluid hot.

OR.....you can buy TWO of these kind of tranny coolers and run them inline and mount them to the frame right behind the air dam, you can fit two of them perfectly on that part of the frame....then cut out those strips so they will get ram air cooling whenever your moving. Cut two seperate strips though, so the air dam stays stiff. That is my aftermarket power steering fluid cooler, btw. Works great and is never more than warm to the touch, never hot.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the reply, i'll check the pics when I get home.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey LS6427 do you have a writeup or more pics of the power steering cooler?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Hey LS6427 do you have a writeup or more pics of the power steering cooler?
All I did was removed the factory PS fluid cooler that connects to the upper radiator hose, and I ran an all rubber straight hose. Then I ran new 3/8" heater hose from the bottom of the PS fluid reservoir to the new cooler and then attached the other hose to the cooler too. I mounted the cooler with the zip ties that came with the cooler from Advance Auto.

Here's the only other pics I have. The entire job was like 20-30 minutes, easy as pie. Straight forward, no tricks or problems at all. I think everything including the new rubber upper hose was liek $40.00.

So you know, the factory cooler is a horrible failure by GM. It is actually a PS fluid "heater". It makes the PS fluid much hotter. The aftermarket cooler you see there, I can pull over at any time, no matter what kind of driving I was doing, and I can keep my hand on it. Its never more than just warm to the touch. You put you hand on the factory cooler and you'll get a 3rd degree burn.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did that slit end up decreasing airflow enough to your radiator enough to see any change in coolant temp?

Quick Reply: Sufficient cooler?