Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission feels like in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission feels like in Neutral

Been doing alot of surfing to solve this problem before going to a transmission shop. I have a 98 WS6, Auto, 101K, been babied all its life since new, bone stock except for cat back exhaust, 10 yrs ago. Just recently after driving about 35 miles, from out of town to on an interstate cruising 70+ when you apply any pressure on the pedal, like going up a slight hill, the car feels like it is in neutral. The RPM's will increase, no increase in speed or power. The transmission doesn't jerk or make any strange noises. It just happens without any warning. Yesterday when this happen I was on a road going 55. I let it slow to 45 then manually shifted to 3rd - Lots of power. Seems to only happen after you have been driving for awhile. Shifts smooth all the time, never happens around town.

I don't have a scanner but took car to Auto Zone--No Codes or check engine light. Transmission fluid is full and looks and smells good. Only about 25K on AMSOIL fluid. 30K on Iridium plugs.

Any suggestions--Misfires?Speed Sensor?Converter?4th gear?

Thanks Dave
Old 06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MakinWaves
Been doing alot of surfing to solve this problem before going to a transmission shop. I have a 98 WS6, Auto, 101K, been babied all its life since new, bone stock except for cat back exhaust, 10 yrs ago. Just recently after driving about 35 miles, from out of town to on an interstate cruising 70+ when you apply any pressure on the pedal, like going up a slight hill, the car feels like it is in neutral. The RPM's will increase, no increase in speed or power. The transmission doesn't jerk or make any strange noises. It just happens without any warning. Yesterday when this happen I was on a road going 55. I let it slow to 45 then manually shifted to 3rd - Lots of power. Seems to only happen after you have been driving for awhile. Shifts smooth all the time, never happens around town.

I don't have a scanner but took car to Auto Zone--No Codes or check engine light. Transmission fluid is full and looks and smells good. Only about 25K on AMSOIL fluid. 30K on Iridium plugs.

Any suggestions--Misfires?Speed Sensor?Converter?4th gear?

Thanks Dave
Thats pretty high milage the 3-4 clutch set may be failing or the forward set .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-26-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

when was the tranny filter lasted changed???????
Old 06-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I was thinking maybe one of the clutches was going---I hope they can replace that only or would it be better to rebuild the whole tranny at this time????

The filter was replaced when the fluid was changed. I did that myself. The old filter didn't look that bad and there was very little metal on the magnetic.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Well the car is finally fixed after many weeks. After a complete rebuild with all the recommended upgrades the problem still existed, the trans would loose fourth gear, pressure was bleeding off. After another 4 1/2 weeks in the shop, many hours on the phone and rechecking/ replacing all installed parts and over 400 miles of testing the problem was found. The computer never set a code for the 4th gear slip.

The problem turned out to be a 1 1/2 to 2 in crack in the 4th gear applied piston. Was very difficult to see but a large screwdrive found the problem. Could only see when a twisting pressure was applied in the rim of were the seal goes. Don't know if this would be a common problem.

Dave

Quick Reply: Transmission feels like in Neutral