Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new leak, what holds the plug up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new leak, what holds the plug up?

so i was driving and noticed my car started slipping when i gave it more gas. so i pulled over and saw i didnt have any trans fluid on the stick. i took it home and noticed its pouring out of where the harness plugs into the transmission.. i can push the plug down and it starts leaking worse. i tried pulling it up and it seems like there is nothing holding it in place. what seals that plug? and what holds it up? do i have to take the transmission out to fix this?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

there are 4 (i think) molded clips that latch onto the transmission case. They work like the plastic clips on a harness plug where you have to squeeze the tab in to seperate a plug from the recepticle. Imagine pushing the plug up through the round hole in the transmission case...the tabs around the recepticle get compressed as you push it through the hole then expand and lock the plug in place by grabbing the lip on the external part of the hole. If the plug is falling in you either have a few broken tabs or they all somehow managed to compress enough to let the recepticle go down. Try pulling the receptical out as hard (carefully) as you can and if that doesnt work you'll have to drop the pan and either push it up (if the tabs are in tack) or replace the harness. good luck
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

if i drop the pan will i see it or do i have to drop the valve body too? all ive ever done to a transmission is filter and gasket. im hesitant to go any further
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You only have to remove the PCS solenoid. its easy and unplug some wires and take out the tcc solenoid two bolts. You will need to replace the harness. Sounds like it go hit and broke the tabs off

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

ok sounds easy. how much is a harness? i wish u were closer id just take it out and have you go over the whole thing