Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping into neutral on brake in 4th??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping into neutral on brake in 4th??

When im driving my car at highway speeds 50mph and above it feels like the trans goes into neutral when I touch the brakes? This is in 4th gear, touch the brakes and the rpms drop way down as if the car was shifted into neutral. Step back on the gas and it feels like you have put it back into drive. But if i just let off the gas the rpms just drop slowly as they should as the car slows down.

Anyone got an idea as to whats going on here? Tranny shifts fine with no slippage. Im running a vig 3200. Im thinking its got to be some tunning issue, but I dont know. Im plannig on taking her to Vegas in September, 2400 mile road trip, and I dont want a little problem to turn into something big and leave me stranded on the side of the road.

On a side note my cars always had an issue with the cruise control. When in 4th cruising down the highway with the cruise control set, if you push down on the brakes to kick the cruise control off, the car wants to over power the brakes, as if the car thinks ur going up a really big hill instead of actualy pushing on the brakes? It will eventually kick the cruise off if you really get on the brakes hard, but it will even try to down shift in to 3rd sometimes and power threw it. Can be a little hairy....

So to avoid this I just manually flip the little lever on the cruise switch to off when I want to kick the cruise out. When I do that the car will gradually slow down as it should, but if I touch the brakes I get the going into neutral feeling and the rpms drop to idle.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can help.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds normal with that stall. When you hit the brakes the PCM unlocks the converter hence the neutral feel then when you accelerate gradually it will relock . Normal function.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks performabuilt. I think im getting one of ur level 2s, to hold up to my waiting to be installed h/c package, when I get back from my road trip.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

I felt the same way the first time driving a stalled car. I thought the engine died at first.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sounds normal with that stall. When you hit the brakes the PCM unlocks the converter hence the neutral feel then when you accelerate gradually it will relock . Normal function.
thats exactly correct.....