Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem

hey everybody i have a 97 trans am and i just put a trans go shift kit and when i do half throttle the shift areperfect and great. but when i floor it the first gear feels like it is sliiping andi have to let off the throttle a little before it shifts.I check my trans fluid and it looks like it is about 3 or 4 quarts over the limit. i havent had time to drain any but could that be the problem? please help

thank you all
Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should definitely get the fluid level close to where it needs to be. With it being way overfilled you could have an issue with the fluid foaming because it is not allowed to vent properly. This basically will mix air in with the fluid and cause problems. When you say at wot it feels like it is slipping and you have to let off to get it to shift. Couple questions, are you hitting the rev limiter when this happens? Did you install a converter when you installed the shift kit? First thing I would do is get the fluid level where it needs to be. Vince
Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

thanx and no i didnt put a conveter in and no i am not hitting the rev limiter this happens around 3 grand
Old 08-09-2009, 11:14 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

I would try and get the fluid level correct. If the problem still occurs I would pull the pan and go back over your shift kit install. Vince
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I would try and get the fluid level correct. If the problem still occurs I would pull the pan and go back over your shift kit install. Vince
Having it over or under filled can start problems with all kinds of stuff. i delt with that alot on my old truck and it used to blow my mind the things it would do with the fluid level off by a quart or two.

get the fluid level where it should be and go from there
Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

i got the fluid right but it still happens. what could be wrong? and if i ned a new trans withe a trans out of a 96 camaro work for my 97 ta. i know they both have the 4l60e trans but will it work?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Yes the trans out of a 96 will work. I would probably look over your shift kit install to see if you did something wrong. I would suspect either an issue with the 1-2 accumulator or possibly the new shift valve that you installed. This would be the one with the ball and spring in the end of it. Vince