Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Tranny Beefed Up- HELP Quick!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Tranny Beefed Up- HELP Quick!

How's it goin ya'll?
I just picked up my T/A with a cammed 6.0 and rebuilt tranny. The fluid looked pretty dirty but not burnt, so I had it flushed. Well my buddy doin the flushing went through the tranny twice, and the fluid is still very dark (saw it on the flushing machine.) The car was tuned by Nelson Performance here in SA and he bumped up the line pressure a bit, so the way I figure it is that it's too much motor for a stock tranny, especially with the added pressure.
Now forgive me, because I'm new to F-Bodies, as well as beefing up transmissions.
I'm heading to a shop tomorrow to get my exhaust looked at, and they build trannys as well. My uncle was telling me he'd look into putting in a shift kit, and adding Corvette servos. I'm considering throwing in a stalled converter as well, but my fuel mileage already isn't that great (18 highway) so I'm still debating on that one.
Anyway, I'm sorry about the long post, but I was wondering how ya'll would recommend strengthening up the transmission.

Thanks,
Dustin Niemeyer

Last edited by DKrazyKracker32; 08-24-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

um.. beast sunshell, dual cage sprag, shift kit.. you already have the vette servo
Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.circledspecialties.com/Re...Kits/4L60.html

Here is a link to a kit I sell, give you an idea of the parts you can use. I would be a little worried about a trans shop that does not know what parts to use. A lot of the tricks of the trade are not just what parts to use, but the settings and installation. Not trying to scare you to much, just a tip.

Your uncle was right about the converter. You will love a stalled auto. What are the specs on the cam and how much "spirited" driving do you do?? The performance converter will have a lock up clutch like the OE, so your highway milage will not change. It will only go up when it is unlocked - ie racing or in town driving.

Chris
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Circle-D
http://www.circledspecialties.com/Re...Kits/4L60.html

Here is a link to a kit I sell, give you an idea of the parts you can use. I would be a little worried about a trans shop that does not know what parts to use. A lot of the tricks of the trade are not just what parts to use, but the settings and installation. Not trying to scare you to much, just a tip.

Your uncle was right about the converter. You will love a stalled auto. What are the specs on the cam and how much "spirited" driving do you do?? The performance converter will have a lock up clutch like the OE, so your highway milage will not change. It will only go up when it is unlocked - ie racing or in town driving.

Chris
I appreciate the link, and I'll check it out. I'm assuming the shop knows their stuff, I just wanted to see who recommends what in particular to F-Bodies.
As far as the spirited driving...I'd say about 85% spirited, 15% crusing, lol.
My last couple of tanks of mixed city and highway were 16 and 15, which aren't too horrible but that's because I'm comind from trucks, lol.
The cam is a Comp Cam 224-226 556-568@112. I don't really know how to explain it, because I don't know much about cams either, lol.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Also, I've heard many say to shoot for at least a 3500 stall, however I've heard the Vig 3200 isn't bad for daily driving either. I'm just debating on what some good brands are, and I'm trying to figure out what would be better for daily driving, a tighter (Yank) for looser (Vig) converter? Again, I'm not to keen on tranmissions or, torque converters..
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

well circle D makes a good converter. They don't build it until you tell them what you want.

I would talk to them, i plan on it when i blow up my trans