Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Z28 Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Z28 Transmission problem?

Just picked this 1997 Camaro Z28 up less than 2 months ago. Been doing some routine maintenance on it the past month. The problem I've noticed these past 2 weeks is this. When I'm coming to a stop I hear a clunk or bang coming from underneath the car. Seems to be the center area of the car where the transmission is. The car shifts fine and no slipping is noticed. I was just getting ready to change the transmission fluid this week. Any ideas what this could be?

*Clunk/bang when coming to a stop.
*Sounds like the transmission is downshifting or something?
*Fluid is a darkish red(kind of hard to tell on the dipstick) with no abnormal smell
*Car has 94k miles on it and I have no serivice records to prove the transmission fluid has ever been changed.
*Only does it sometimes

Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Check mounts and torque arm bushing

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans mount was replace a few weeks ago with an ES poly one. Old one was busted. I think I did it when I first got the car on a few "spirited drives" I will have to check the torque arm mount.

It feels like its just kicking down hard from 2-1. Because as I'm coasting to a stop(<20mph) it does it. Or right when I stop. But it doesnt do it all the time.
I'm also noticing a vibration that seems to go all through the car when coasting and it hits about 900rpms.

Can these steel driveshafts do weird things? I'm planning on getting an aluminum LS1 one here soon. It already vibrates at higher speeds when I take my foot off the gas 55-60mph++

Quick Reply: 97 Z28 Transmission problem?