Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of "LCA bolts"?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of "LCA bolts"?????

My transmission goes into gear real hard when shifting from p to d, same with p to reverse....I want to get underneath it tonight and look at the tranny mounts and also Ive heard tightening the lca bolts has fixed this issue. Ive done a search, cant find what/where the lca bolts are located, can someone give me some insight as to where the lca bolts are?? thanks

Last edited by LS1ownsall; 11-07-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: bad title
Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it has anything to do with it, but LCAs are about a foot long bars that connect to the axle right behind the wheels. You can look up LCAs on any vendor's site to get an idea of what they look like. Stock ones are stamped steel not tubular, but you'll get the idea of size. I'm pretty sure those LCA bolts are in there so pretty tight. Probably rusted solid.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Ok, well Ill have to check them anyways. Any other suggestions as to what this could be? Other than my tranny going out? lol
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1ownsall
My transmission goes into gear real hard when shifting from p to d, same with p to reverse....I want to get underneath it tonight and look at the tranny mounts and also Ive heard tightening the lca bolts has fixed this issue. Ive done a search, cant find what/where the lca bolts are located, can someone give me some insight as to where the lca bolts are?? thanks
Stock tune or retuned with a high idle?
Retuned and someone screwed with line pressure?
Stock TQ or Yank, Vig, etc.?
Stock tranmission or rebuilt with a kit?

If everything is stock and high mileage and it's clunking bad pinion bearings probably or maybe even u joints.

Link below has pics of the LCA'a

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Teching In

stock converter, stock trans, no high idle, never been rebuilt (to my knowledge), HOWEVER, either the line pressure has been jacked way up or it has a shift kit. I am fine with the hard shifts but I just feel like its really hard on it when it clunks in real hard from p to d.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Look to see if there isn't a little black box near the PCM that is wired into the PCM. I forget the name of the mfg - but supposedly this little black plastic gizmo will electronically sans a tune change line pressure etc. in the trans via the pcm and give faster quicker shifts. They are a piece of junk and if you have one disconnect it asap and throw it away.

The motor should idle down quickly and give you a nice soft shift.

For example on my car the tach reads 1100 rpm, but EFI scans show it idling at 950. I had to back it down to 850 to get nice soft shifts. I'm going to have my tuner look at it again to get softer shifts when selecting reverse or drive. It's a Performabuilt LVL III with a Yank 3400PY. On mine the idle doesn't drop fast enough sometimes creating a hard shift from neutral to drive or reverse. I am told there are parameters to change that affects idle.

In the meantime until you can get someone to scan or read your tune - time the shift when going from park to neutral - then to drive or reverse. Give the motor a chance to idle down before going from neutral to reverse or drive.

You might ask Frank at Performabuilt and get his opinion as to whether the hard shifts over time will increase wear or damage since it appears your tranny and tune is still stock.

My pinion bearings were bad from day one - second owner at 9000. They finally failed completely at 34500 just before warrantly expired. GM replaced under warranty and the clunk went away completely even though several GM techs told me clunking is normal in all Camaros - I say BS.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.