Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 Shifting / Leaking Issue - Pro Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4 Shifting / Leaking Issue - Pro Help

Sorry for the long story in advance I just want to provide as much information as possible.

I rebuilt a 700r4 for a friends 88 GTA in Feb of this year. He purchased a Heavy Duty Rebuild kit from Pro-Built Automatics / 700R4L60E.com

Kit Link: https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=19&page=1

Anyway I completed the rebuild going page by page through the GM Service Manual. Put the trans in and it worked great. Nice firm shifts and good drivablility and no leaks. He drove it all summer with no problems. His only concern was that when it was in drive and he floored it, the trans 1-2 and
2-3 up shift was early around 3K rpm's. Also when cruising and he would go to pass a car the trans didn't seem to down shift.

Now when operating the trans in manual 1,2 & D it will hold each gear to the rev limiter. We tried several Throttle Valve / Detent Cable Adj. with the factory cable (which I thought was worn) and it got a little better. I told him that he may need a new T.V. Cable. So he went and purchased a new after market type cable.

Here's where things go down hill. He puts the new T.V. cable in and he adjusts it till it starts holding out all the gears in Drive. A few days later after driving it he notices a leak from the transmission. After looking at it I see its coming from one of the front pump mounting bolts. So we take the trans out and I look to find the source of the leak. Take the pump back out inspect it the seal and gasket everything looks fine. The only thing I find is that I didn't replace the seals and washers on the pump bolts. So I replace them put the trans in the leak is gone. Great. Drive it, shift good but still a little early. So I adjust the cable and get it set to where its as good as I can get it within the recommended specs.

The next day my friend decides he going to adjust it to where he had it when it held the gears out. And so he does. A few days later he goes out and the leak is back and coming from the same place as before. I'm at my wits end here and not sure what to do next. If any of the pros could help me here I would greatly appriciate it.

I do have the trans back out because my friend cracked the case while putting the trans pan on. He got another case so now I have to swap everything into a new case so I want to fix this problem once and for all!

Thanks again for your patience in reading this and any help is greatly appriciated!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the old case where the oring on the pump would be. Look to see if there were any scratches/gouges in this surface. Also look at the pump where the washers would seal. Not sure if you are using the orings or washers depending on the model but there could be some damage there not allowing the seals to do their job. You could always use a bit of sealer on the heads of the bolts if you would like with either the washer or the oring type seals. Only use the orings or the washers depending on which bolts you have. Do not use both! Make sure that the dipstick seal and TV cable seals are good. I have seen these over looked in the past and a pump was blamed. You as well can use a bit of silicone in these areas. Just make sure to let it all sit over night to dry before adding oil and makes sure all pieces are free from oil and debris. Use brake cleaner!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Default Washers and Orings.

I did check the pump housing oring and case and they looked fine. Though I did use both the washers and orings on each bolt. The bolts have a groove for the orings.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 04:04 AM

Hi,
I know this is a fairly old post, but I'm having a very similar problem with a 7004R behind an inline 6. The leak seems to be coming from the pump bolts, and the trans doesn't want to kickdown. Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem? If I tighten the pump bolts slightly, the leak stops, then returns after about 100 miles of use. I'm starting to think it's an out of balance converter.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Default Leak

I actually did find the problem and it was a very simple solution. The pump bolts have 2 styles of sealing Rubber Washers or Rubber O-rings. In my infinite wisdom I had put both the Washers and O-rings on the bolts which was causing the leak. I took the washers off and used new O-rings............problem solved!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

For future reference, you don't adjust the tv cable to change shift points.
The tv cable gets adjusted properly and thats it.
To change the shift points use different governor springs and weights.

Quick Reply: 700r4 Shifting / Leaking Issue - Pro Help