Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-56 to 4L80e

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-56 to 4L80e

Considering ditching my T-56 for a 4L80e. I will be using EFI connections 24 x conversion so my car will be using a LS1 PCM. Should I buy a already built up 4l80e or have a local shop install some aftermarket parts supplied by me?

1. How much (ballpark for trans and converter)?
2. What parts will I need?
3. What needs to be modified?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly don't know...maybe this will give you a bump. But I'm interested in your T-56 swap parts if you decide to do this. Just pm me with a price if you don't mind.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably about 4K. I have about 2300 in mine, but I did some trading to get my 4l80 rebuilt (not required). I also bought everything new and did stainless hose for my cooler lines and bought an aftermarket stall converter.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you have lt1 and I just did this on my ls1 so some differences. First unless you go to think ls1 ecu you will need to go manual on the 4l80e or get add on controller.
You need auto pedals..top auto console piece. Stock auto shifter or aftermarket shifter.
You need crossmember for the 4l80. You can use stock length driveshaft but you need turbo 400 yoke.Trans cooler of course.Not sure on wiring for the 4l80 if the 4l60 wiring harness works .Again I have ls1 so used a t56 to 4l80 conversion harness but my ls1 ecu runs the 4l80e.I went with yank py3400e they are pretty much designed for turbo applications.
I used ls1 aftermarket flexplate not sure what you have to do on the lt1.It might work on lt1
I used lokar firewall dipstick you need the longest one they have for the 4l80.
You have to do a lot of cutting or hammering or both where the big main plug goes on the 4l80 again maybe not if you go full manual in your car. And I went to 90 degree trans cooler fittings. I had to modify as the back fitting needs to have special extension tube on it. I did extra cutting and stuff for my aps twin turbo kit on drivers side had to cut for downpipe clearance and on passenger side for the wastegate but that was aps specific. RPM cut the ears off already so didn't have to do anything to the tunnel aside from cutting away for that huge main wiring plug.

Overall it was a pretty easy swap.
TCI offers a 4l80e with six speeds .That might be nice. It has controller,paddle shifting options. No idea on price.
Other cheap option is to run turbo 400 with 3.08 gears. Still pretty good on highway. And spools up pretty quickly as well.
Standard stock 4l80e think good for around 600engine hp or maybe a bit more. I need to be good for like 1000rwhp max so went to the rpm top of line 4l80e.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Well you have lt1 and I just did this on my ls1 so some differences. First unless you go to think ls1 ecu you will need to go manual on the 4l80e or get add on controller.
You need auto pedals..top auto console piece. Stock auto shifter or aftermarket shifter.
You need crossmember for the 4l80. You can use stock length driveshaft but you need turbo 400 yoke.Trans cooler of course.Not sure on wiring for the 4l80 if the 4l60 wiring harness works .Again I have ls1 so used a t56 to 4l80 conversion harness but my ls1 ecu runs the 4l80e.I went with yank py3400e they are pretty much designed for turbo applications.
I used ls1 aftermarket flexplate not sure what you have to do on the lt1.It might work on lt1
I used lokar firewall dipstick you need the longest one they have for the 4l80.
You have to do a lot of cutting or hammering or both where the big main plug goes on the 4l80 again maybe not if you go full manual in your car. And I went to 90 degree trans cooler fittings. I had to modify as the back fitting needs to have special extension tube on it. I did extra cutting and stuff for my aps twin turbo kit on drivers side had to cut for downpipe clearance and on passenger side for the wastegate but that was aps specific. RPM cut the ears off already so didn't have to do anything to the tunnel aside from cutting away for that huge main wiring plug.

Overall it was a pretty easy swap.
TCI offers a 4l80e with six speeds .That might be nice. It has controller,paddle shifting options. No idea on price.
Other cheap option is to run turbo 400 with 3.08 gears. Still pretty good on highway. And spools up pretty quickly as well.
Standard stock 4l80e think good for around 600engine hp or maybe a bit more. I need to be good for like 1000rwhp max so went to the rpm top of line 4l80e.

Copy. Thanks. Sounds like fun!lol. I am shooting for 850-900rwhp with a PT-88 at this point and my PTK turbo kit. I dont plan on tracking the car alot mostly just having a very fast street car thats rarely driven but still retains a/c and can cruise at a reasonable speed on the freeway. The TCI six speed would be nice but I bet thats like 6K. I dont like my car that much.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the factory PCM, it is possible to control the 4L80. I haven't done one but have been told about it.

Quick Reply: T-56 to 4L80e