Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmssion and torque converter LSx swap help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmssion and torque converter LSx swap help

I got a 2003 LQ9 from a silverado SS, It is wired for a 4L60/65e. I heard mixed reviews on this transmission, and i cant afford to go to the 4L80e right now. So can i get a regular 4L60e and torque converter from any Chevy/cadilac truck from a wrecked truck and be ok? motor is stock right now, and i can afford to have the transmission upgraded/rebuilt down the line, just looking to get the truck drivable. Also if i do go with a different torque converter, what will i want for daily driver truck with occasional track?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "mixed reviews" you have heard were probably from people that didnt know what they were talking about. There is a reason that the 700r4/4l60 tranny has been around for over 25yrs now. Granted the original 700r4 had their share of problems but newsflash...every tranny has issues in one form or another and OEM trannys are not designed to be put behind racetrack cars. But every one of them can be built to take racetrack abuse.
Go with a salvage yard 4l60 and plan on it having a total lifespan of not much more than 125K miles before it dies. You may luck out and find one that is in driving condition with alot higher miles....odds are it has already been rebuilt. Depending on who rebuilt it and what they put into it obviously determines how long it will last.
4l60's are bargains and can be built to be trackstars. Find a guy that knows what he is doing and you are golden. Don't listen to the wannabe 4l80/85 snobs. In their case...ignorance is NOT bliss!
Check the fluid on the used tranny. If it is a nice pinkish AND does not have a burnt smell to it then ask what the warranty is. Expect atleast 30 days and dont settle for anything less. If the fluid is brownish or a mix of brown and pink then I would pass on it.
Upgrades on the 4l60 are fairly cheap. The rebuild kit is going to be the most "pricey", everything else is cheap. By parts here and there until you got everything and maybe find a rebuild guy that will build it on the side if you willing to remove and reinstall. That will save you alot of $$$
Good luck!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you! Ok so will the stock stall be ok for now? And in the future what kinda stall should i look at going for? Truck will be daily driven on the street. As well as a weekend track truck for fun.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stick with the stock torque convertor unless you are willing to buy a aftermarket convertor which WILL need to be replaced when the tranny is up for rebuild. You dont want to reuse a torque convertor after a rebuild...not good common sense. If you just cant afford another convertor and the tranny is getting rebuilt because you are ready to and NOT because you have to (IE: tranny burnt up) then maybe ok. You definately do not want to use a torque convertor full of tranny shrapnel in a rebuilt tranny!
As far as stall recommendations...i will leave that to the race tranny techs to chime in on. I had always done oem/towing type rebuilds.