Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing different brand ATF, any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mixing different brand ATF, any issues?

I currently have Valvoline's Dex/Merc ATF in my transmission but picked up some Castrol Dex/Merc ATF cause they were having a good sale.

Would mixing the two together cause issues for my transmission fluid and transmission?

I know it sounds silly but I'm sure different brands have different formulas for their Dex/Merc ATF.

Edit: Off Valvoline's website (FAQ section http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system...mission-fluid/) it states that their ATF is compatible with most brands ATF.

I still am curious to know (any transmission gurus out there?) if it has any long term effects. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Last edited by benoh; 02-26-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 I built my own th400 and presoaked the clutches in dexIII but when I got ready to fill it up had been reccomended to run tractor hydraulic & trans fluid so I asked the same question you just asked on another forum and had a very reputable builder say its OK so I went with it.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Bringing this back up, I have 8 quarts of Valvoline VV353 (Dex/Merc for Dexron III applications) and about 6 quarts of Castrol Dex/Merc or Dexron VI (I can't remember at the moment) and I need to fill a 4l60e with a stock stall. Since I'll use more than 8 quarts, would it be alright to fill the balance with Castrol? The above responses seem to indicate it's alright, but is there any mixture I should avoid?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

I doubt there is much difference between different brands of the same type AFT, but I would not mix half Dexron 3 with half Dexron 6. Pick one or the other.

Quick Reply: Mixing different brand ATF, any issues?