Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leak question on an A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leak question on an A4

Question…my transmission is leaking fluid from what looks to be the rear and after searching it looks like I could have cracked the tailshaft housing. With all the snow Maryland go I haven’t been able to get under the car yet but plan too this week…But.

IF, it is a crack can I just weld it for a quick fix till I buy a stage 5 from FLT.

One day I was racing my buddies A4 (I won) I noticed an odd smell after we finished. The next day driving to work the stall started to unlock and relock at highway speeds. This caused the trans temp. to jump to 230ish. So would a crack cause pressure problems in the stall to unlock like that or if I burnt a seal??? When I changed the tranny fluid it was as black as oil. I just don’t know too much about all this.

Car makes about 500hp A4

Thanks for any help and input you can offer!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

ok u got me, my friend did it while i was at work and saw it in the can, and would the fluid turn black (burn) from the temp hitting 230?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to go through the tranny and converter. Or get the FLT level 5 tranny.

Some things I have learned with the 4l60e is that revving it in nuetral is very hard on the 3-4 clutches, they will last alot longer if you just don't rev in nuetral. If you are at 500 to the wheel then you are creating alot of power at the motor. Make sure your tranny cooler is big enough. When you start getting **** in the tranny from clutches, debris , whatever you start running the risk of sticking valves in the valve body.

I bought the BMR tq arm reloction mount just for the fact to get the load off the tailhousing. Turns out the car has never hooked better. Next pass at the track on 245/50-16 street tires was a 11.1 @ 122 with a 1.590 60'
Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

yea i'm planning to do all that but im getting married next friday and the damn thing broke like 6 months too soon, so im just trin to get a quick cheap fix to get her going again. it dont see the track but 1-2 times a year
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take it easy on the car for the time being, maybe its just the rear seal? How much fluid leaks? I noticed that if my tranny was 1 quart overfilled it would smell like fluid when I ran through all the gears closer to 7,000 rpm. The fluid tends to blow out the vent sometimes when overfilled.

What kind of times you running at the track? 60'? 1/4? mph?
Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

never made it to the track. but with the power vs. what iv seen others do, im looking for a lower 11ish. its a show car first, toy second, racer third