Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting the car with no tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starting the car with no tranny fluid?

I blew out my 4l60 a little while back and wanted to know if it was "ok" to start the car with no tranny fluid in it. I drained all the tranny fluid from the pan for inspection (filled with metal shavings as feared).. I ended up using the down time install a turbo setup. I was wondering if I could start the car to check for exhaust leaks and to get everything buttoned up with no transmission fluid (other the what is in the converter) or if I should buy some new tranny fluid and fill her back up. I will be ordering a new transmission/converter within a week or so but I wanted everything (engine wise) to be all finished up.. Posting from my phone so please excuse any spelling errors or run ons
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't care about this trans then run it w no fluid but it does not take long to weld the pump bushing to the neck of the converter in which case ruins the pump.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put some Wally World fluid in it, not very expensive and will at least get you through the next few days. A gallon or so should do it, IIRC.