Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visual inspection on a used TH400?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Visual inspection on a used TH400?

This is going in my 2004 TT GTO.
I bought this used TH400 locally for $400. According to the original owner, the trans was bought new from Art Carr within the last couple of years. It was installed in a 72 Chevelle drag car that ran low 13's. It had a no name stall converter that came with it but I'm going to use my Yank Eliminator 3600 that was built for this swap. It was in good running condition when removed from the car, and never an issue during it's short life. I have no reason to believe this trans has problems other than the price I got it for. However, I would like to take a look at the unit to see what kind of parts and condition the unit is in.

I am a Newb to Automatic transmissions. I would like to know what steps I can take to inspect the unit and to check for upgrades etc... But I don't want to get in too deep as I don't feel comfortable putting it back together correctly lol. Is it possible to get any information about this trans with simple visual inspection? Any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated!

Also,
The Fluid looked good when I drained it.
The manufacture date on the SFI bell housing is December of 2007.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you very much. This is what I was looking for.
Will I need to buy any seals or gaskets for this?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I'm in there looking around, is there anyway to spot upgrades over stock components? Anything in particular I should be hoping for? Thanks for your help, I'm going to take it apart, maybe even install some new frictions while I'm in there.

Quick Reply: Visual inspection on a used TH400?