Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need ur opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need ur opinion

so i am in a dilemma now. A4 is starting to mess up. i would love to swap to an m6, but im trying to stay within a budget. im not really sure if i can do the work myself to take out the tranny (never done anything like that), but i do have a couple of friends that might know, not sure tho. should i just take the A4 to a shop and get it rebuilt or should i find someone with an M6 and do a tranny swap with them? what u guys think?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
I think if you don't know much definitely don't find someone you don't know to swap with.
I've done an A4 to M6 swap on one of my cars and thought about doing it with my other one, but finding someone to swap with just seems like a nightmare. And who is going to swap an M6 with a non working A4?

I'd get a trans and converter from a sponsor on here, then have your friends help you put it in.

You might find a wrecked car with a M6 swap kit, but they usually want as much or more than a built trans and converter, then you need to swap it over instead of r&r, reprogram it, etc.
well, i might have a friend that might swap with me, as long as i rebuild the tranny. but he is being lazy and doesnt want to do it ourselves and let a speed shop do it. but they quoted us at $2k.
i have been thinking if im gonna spend $1k to rebuild the auto, i might as well spend some more and get what i really want, a manual.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Going from A4 to M6 is easier to do than M6 to A4. It cost me $2266 to do the swap and have a working low mileage A4 left over and an M6 car with a lot of new GM parts.

Don't forget the rear gears, maybe you and your friend are swapping whole rears too but I'd imagine an M6 with A4 gears isn't as fun as it could be, I did a 3.73 swap and broke them in with the A4 before doing the trans swap.
my cars rear has 3.73 gears. i have been told that going from A4 to M6 is easier than the other way around. why is that? i assume it has something to do with the harness and electrics of the tranny. btw, did u do the tranny swap urself?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

$2k for the Swaps? Fck that..
If I was home I would help ya, I'm from Little Rock. That and I know just about everything with these cars that you need to wire, I also have HP Tuners to set it up properly..

I swapped my car to a T56..then blew it up and built it..lol

My friend runs a local Tranny shop here..good rebuilds on 4L60E's can range from $600-$800.

About the swap..it's easier to do Auto ---> Standard cause of the electronics..there isn't that much. Ya you have to install Pedals and ****..but a monkey can do that.

The other way around is more difficult, mainly wiring. I know what has to be done for that so for me it would just be time consuming.

Here is my T56 Swap thread..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...onversion.html
Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I did the swap myself, trans and gears.
The reason the A4 to M6 swap is easier is because of the wiring. I added two pins to two empty spots in the computer harness. Those were for the cruise to work and the reverse lock out.
For neutral safety, hatch release, reverse lights those can all be connected with short pigtails, the factory wires to connect to are under the console.

I left my A4 harness tucked up under the car.
oh ok, well thanks for the help buddy.
Originally Posted by the_merv
$2k for the Swaps? Fck that..
If I was home I would help ya, I'm from Little Rock. That and I know just about everything with these cars that you need to wire, I also have HP Tuners to set it up properly..

I swapped my car to a T56..then blew it up and built it..lol

My friend runs a local Tranny shop here..good rebuilds on 4L60E's can range from $600-$800.

About the swap..it's easier to do Auto ---> Standard cause of the electronics..there isn't that much. Ya you have to install Pedals and ****..but a monkey can do that.

The other way around is more difficult, mainly wiring. I know what has to be done for that so for me it would just be time consuming.

Here is my T56 Swap thread..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...onversion.html
damn, that would have been great to have someone that knew what they were doin. i plan on doing it in the summer time anyways. i figured the price range to be around that. thanks for the link. im definitely gonna do tons of research before i start on it.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yahelou
oh ok, well thanks for the help buddy.

damn, that would have been great to have someone that knew what they were doin. i plan on doing it in the summer time anyways. i figured the price range to be around that. thanks for the link. im definitely gonna do tons of research before i start on it.
I'll be home mid may..maybe we can work something out..

Thats a lot of **** torn out of the interior.
I did my swap in 2005, at the time I seemed to be the only one to be able to swap pedals without taking the steering column out, I took the gas pedal off it, no problem.
I took the plastic panel that covers the a/c blower off the pass side.
Same on the drivers side. Took the center console out. Didn't take seats out or carpet.
I'm just saying...those pictures might discourage people.

There was a thread around here somewhere where me and the merv put up some wiring info (not that we know each other) and someone commented that we're the guys to talk to about the wiring (I lost my login info for the username)
So I will say he is the guy to talk to about the wiring, I believe he knows more than I do.
The Seats come out in like 5 min, so does the Column. I pulled everything apart to get to everything easier. If the car is going to be sitting for a while then why not make it easier..
That and I installed a Shift Light, so that is why the Bezel was out.

I was thinkin about that thread to help someone else with their swap..both the LT1 and LS1 are very close to each other when it comes to the wiring, not much difference really.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be home mid may..maybe we can work something out..
awesome, thats when i plan on doin the swap, when school is over. i will definitely keep u in mind.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Ya we will have to see what happens.. I have a few other plans first when I get back in country..
Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya we will have to see what happens.. I have a few other plans first when I get back in country..
ha, i figured u would, so i dont blame ya. i will keep in contact.