Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible 4L60E problem causing car to bog down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default possible 4L60E problem causing car to bog down?

Last week at the track (on my 9th pass), I had a strange problem with my '95 Camaro off the starting line. It felt like the car was spinning when it launched, so I backed out of the throttle then immediately went back to WOT. The car then felt like it was bogging down and after 2 seconds the RPM's shot up to 6100rpm (still in first gear) so I backed out of it thinking I lost my forward gears. It drove fine down the return lanes though, all gears felt good. It still managed a 9.39 @ 70mph

I had my laptop hooked up to the car using TTS Datamaster, so it made it a bit easier to see what was going on with the car. After I got back in the throttle, it shows that it took the motor about 2 seconds to go from 4100rpm to 4600rpm and still managed to go from 16 - 44mph in that span. At one point it shows 48mph @ 4881rpm with the transmission showing -2197 slip RPM. I dont see how that's even possible. The transmission temp also went way up during this pass. I normally only show 4-5 degrees of temp increase from start to finish, but on this run I went from 181 degrees while staging to 200 while turning off the track. The transmission was actually about 3/4 a quart low, so I topped it off and drove home. It ran great on the way home and I drove it to work the following 2 days and it didnt have any problems.

The transmission has broken 2 pump rotors in the past year, it's got a billet rotor in there now. I bought a transmission pressure gauge and ran it up through the center console so I could see it while driving. I have about 80psi at idle and when I roll away from a stop, it jumps to 250psi and immediately starts dropping to 150. It stays between 150-175psi while cruising down the road in all gears.

The transmission is a Pro Race build from CPT and the transmission pressure wasn't adjusted in the car's tune.

Anyone out there have an idea as to what's going on with this thing? Also, what should I be looking for in terms of transmission pressure?

*EDIT*
I should meantion another problem I had at the track that day, even though it's probably not related. After my 3rd pass, I tried to start the car and all I got was "click". I got my prybar out and turned the flywheel a little and it started right up. After my 4th pass, the damn thing wouldnt start again and I had a much harder time getting it started, so once I did, I just left the car running for the next 3 hours until the pass where the transmission screwed up. Though once I left the track, I haven't had a problem with the starter and I haven't done a single thing to it.

Last edited by LS1Transam99; 04-09-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to meantion that I'm running an Edge Racing converter, it was built to 3000rpm stall and 2.45 STR when I had the stock 350. With the 383 in it now, it flashes to around 4,000 rpm

Quick Reply: possible 4L60E problem causing car to bog down?