Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need quick input

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need quick input

My car drives down the road perfectly fine until it warms up. After it gets to operating temperature the converter seems to not lock up on the highway unless im pressing the gas. as soon as i let up its like the car is in neutral and it revs up. also the car seems to not want to take off the same it has a hesitation and feels like the converter is not catching.

What im wondering is if the converter is possibly the problem or if it could be something else?

The transmission shifts firm and seems to be fine in all the gears. Car is stock with 115k on it. Fluid does not smell burnt or anything. Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Teching In

anyone have an idea? before i buy a converter and it ends up not being the problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:50 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have an internal transmission failure not a converter issue. Vince
Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

ehh i dont like the sound of that. is there anyway i will be able to pinpoint if that is the problem?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

From what I can comprehend you either have an internal issue (over run clutch) or for some reason your vehicle is going into a limp mode condition. I have High lighted a few things below.

Originally Posted by madeintheshade05
My car drives down the road perfectly fine until it warms up. After it gets to operating temperature the converter seems to not lock up on the highway unless im pressing the gas.(are you talking about the torque converter clutch?) as soon as i let up its like the car is in neutral and it revs up. also the car seems to not want to take off the same it has a hesitation and feels like the converter is not catching. (Does it feel like a third gear start or neutral?)

What im wondering is if the converter is possibly the problem or if it could be something else?

The transmission shifts firm and seems to be fine in all the gears. Car is stock with 115k on it. Fluid does not smell burnt or anything. Thanks
Any specific gear that we are talking about here? I think the best thing to do is have a qualified tech take your car for a ride to see what is really happening. Vince
Old 04-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Teching In

on the takeoff if feels fine it just kinda jerks and and goes almost like the car has an aftermarket converter. then on the highway its fine as long as i keep my foot on the accelerator but as soon as i let up it acts like its in neutral then as soon as i push the gas down it goes to third gear and eventually back into 4th.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:42 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

If you suspect the converter how does the vehicle move in reverse? If it is the same as forward then maybe you have a converter issue. However it seems to me that in over drive your tcc is disengaging and you might have an issue in the input drum. In any event with the miles on the unit you probably need to do both the converter and the trans. Vince