Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New transmission installed, new noise, video will be uploaded

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New transmission installed, new noise, video will be uploaded

I posted a thread a while back about rebuilding my automatic transmission (4L60E)...which ended up looking to be too much to tackle for the first time. So I bought another junkyard transmission (22k miles, exact match for my engine) and a new transmission cooler, and just flushed the lines. Installed it, and now this is happening.

Normal driving is great. Transmission shifts great, the car doesn't seem to be slipping or anything, no problems. But when I accelerate hard (ie- Floor it) I hear a weird whine noise. This doesn't seem to affect shifting at all, the car reacts fine after.

I took a video, but need to upload it to youtube. I thought the noise was only in 3rd (gear it shifts to when moving and I floor it) but it seems to be audible when the car's in 4th just before shifting down to 3rd. So it SEEMS to be load related. I don't hear the problem if I'm sitting with the car on and floor it.

Any ideas? I think there was some slop in the driveshaft (maybe 5*-10* of rotation) and people have been known to shim the VLSDs in the the differential I'm using (R200 with 3.90 final out of a J30), which I think could mess with the backlash. So at this point, I'm thinking backlash, but does anyone have any other ideas?

I will post a video ASAP.

EDIT: I should note I haven't driven this car before the swap. With the bad transmission I could only get into 1st and 2nd and with 3.9 and a relatively short tires in the back 1st and 2nd don't get you very fast easily.

Last edited by bprzybyl; 10-08-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Finally got the video uploaded, you can hear the noise at:
0:38
2:10
2:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIGirPpOnyY

From looking on the web, my best guess (and hope) is that it's somewhere in the differential, specifically the pinion bearing or backlash. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

damn thats a wierd noise hope you get it figured out
Old 10-13-2010, 07:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Maybe your flex plate bolts are hitting the inspection cover when undr acceleration due to the felxplate flexing forward ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

damn good idea it does sound like something spinning on plastic. it is plastic right?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

It would be except I have neither of the inspection covers on at the moment. That does kinda sound similar though. I can lift it up and see if the bolts are hitting something but checking for scoring on the bolt heads.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I think poor camera placement makes it sound like you're driving a dump truck.

The only thing that fits your description of a whining noise is at
:42-:46
2:15-2:17
2:57-3:00

Sounds like a trans bearing to me, thats if it's actually only doing it in one gear.
Could be a bad rear end bearing. Look for metal in the trans and rear.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Teching In

You're spot on, I was just trying to give times to look so people wouldn't have to watch the whole video, which I'll admit is rather boring. dump truck, ha.

Come to think of it, there was quite a bit of metal particles on the magnet when I drained the rear end, but the fluid coming out was brand new looking. This would point me more in the direction of rear end. I forgot to mention, I replaced the fluid in the rear with royal purple, no noticeable change in noise. Maybe previous owner had trouble and changed the fluid.

Time to drop the trans pan again I guess. I hate refilling that thing with the stupid lokar dipstick. This weekend, I'll start with the differential and then check the transmission.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

FWIW I had a similiar noise in a V8 S10, I pulled the 700 out of it and checked everything, found nothing, put it back together with all the same parts. The only thing I found was a rub mark on the trans tunnel where the trans was rubbing it under hard acceleration. It was transfering normal transmission noise to the entire floor of the truck.

I don't know the details of your type of swap, just another idea.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Teching In

1995 Nissan 240SX (~110k miles)
2005 Silverado 5.3l (~60k miles)
2005 Silverado 4L60E (~23k miles)
Shaftmasters aluminum driveshaft (custom for this swap)
unknown year Infinity J30 Differential (unknown mileage, used for the 3.90 gear ratio)
Stock axles (same as car)
245/45/17 Nitto N3000 tires

Being that the car is still in barebones condition, I can remove the dash and such and try to see if I feel any odd vibrations in the sheetmetal when that noise happens. Gonna try to remove the differential tomorrow night. My plan is to pop the cover and check for backlash, hopefully without pouring out $40 of differential fluid. I believe in Royal Purple's products, but they're damn expensive.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Dropped the pan last night, fluid still smelled good but was a darker red color. I'm using the Valvoline Dex/Merc. Used it in my Jimmy last year when a shift solenoid went and have had no trouble with it.
The problem I found was that there was some black stuff on the magnet. This immediately leads me to believe something is wrong with the transmission. Would it be acceptable for there to be some black stuff on the magnet after maybe 100 miles of driving? I'm going to call the junkyard today, but any help would be appreciated. Still haven't looked at the diff.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned

I wouldn't worry about the stuff on the magnet, then again I haven't seen it in person so it's hard to say.

You might break the filter open to see whats in it, all of your fluid has been through it several times. I usually find more stuff in there than on the magnet.

So far it doesn't sound transmission related. IMO.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Even with only ~150 miles on it with new fluid? I was expecting beautiful red fluid and a perfectly clean magnet. Ignorantly, I took pictures last night but never uploaded them. The magnet wasn't covered, but there was a film on the outside edge and a sprinkling on the face. The transmission is only 23k miles old, might it just still be wearing in?

I'm gonna call the junkyard, but I have a feeling they're either say my warranty was up (shouldn't be) or it's alright.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Junkyard agreed with you Jay, transmission is good. The little bit of wear on the magnet was normal.
Finally got the pan back on and everything filled, took it for a test drive. Same thing as always. But, I did notice a couple things-
1) Seems that the very back of the tailhousing, where the bushing is, gets hot quicker than the rest of the tailhousing. I'm going to use an infrared thermometer and verify my suspicions, but it seemed pretty evident. While the rest of the tailhousing was warm, the very end was almost too hot to touch.
2) It's not very pronounced, but there is a minor clunk when switching between R and N and between N and D. This says to me differential. Hopefully I can do it this week.

So that's the current state of everything. Oh also, Idler pulley is making a ton of noise. Thanks everyone for your help, I'll be sure to update the thread to let everyone know what the problem is (hate it when i search for a solution to a problem then no one ever updates with the solution).