Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E input shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default 4L80E input shaft

curious if there has been much breakage or failure with the input shaft-i see stronger ones out there, or heat treated, but i thought the stock ones were larger than a 400, and they took a pretty good beating-what power level do you really need to think about it-i ran over 620 RWHP thru my last one, but it wasnt a track car, although i prob put 30-40 passes on it with drag radials
my newest project will have a Procharged 496, although a budget engine, but will prob have more torq than the LS engine had-gonna start out with the old switch pitch 400, then as $$$ allows build one of my 4L80E's i have
since the 4L80E was only used in larger trucks with higher weight maybe thats where some of the problem was?
your thoughts
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
curious if there has been much breakage or failure with the input shaft-i see stronger ones out there, or heat treated, but i thought the stock ones were larger than a 400, and they took a pretty good beating-what power level do you really need to think about it-i ran over 620 RWHP thru my last one, but it wasnt a track car, although i prob put 30-40 passes on it with drag radials
my newest project will have a Procharged 496, although a budget engine, but will prob have more torq than the LS engine had-gonna start out with the old switch pitch 400, then as $$$ allows build one of my 4L80E's i have
since the 4L80E was only used in larger trucks with higher weight maybe thats where some of the problem was?
your thoughts
The stock input shafts seem to be inconsistent. I've seen them break behind a stock 6.0 and I've seen them live at near 1000 FWHP.
We like to install a billet shaft in anything over 750 FWHP or TQ. Less for N2O or heavy combos.
Imo the forward hub goes in anytime the input shaft gets upgraded as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever seen an 80 hub break?

Quick Reply: 4L80E input shaft