Sponsored by:

4l60e performance rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e performance rebuild kit

hey everyone,

I am looking to rebuild my 4l60e with performace internals. I want the trans to be able to withstand the power i will be adding as time goes on. My long term power goals are around 650/650. I do not want to purchase a prebuilt transmission because i have a tranny expert who has worked on 4l60s for years and will do the rebuild for next to nothing.

What are some good brands and what sponsors carry them?
what should i look for in a rebuild kit?
is it a "get what you pay for" or are they all the same?

thanks for your help
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

My honest answer is to call Dana at Pro Built Automatics and have him spec you out a kit.

Now my realistic answer (question rather) is this: If your guy is so good with 60s, why isn't HE telling YOU what to put in your tranny?

Kinda like a doctor letting you tell him when/where to operate...you telling a college professor when/what to lecture about...geez I could go on for days. Get my drift.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

he mentioned red eagle but i was wondering if there were any other brands out there. most of all i was wondering if there was a complete kit available for an entire build.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Somebody like Pro Built Automatics could get you set-up. However, its got a lot to do with the builder and not just the parts. Again, I would feel a lot more comfortable with my builder telling me what parts to install not the other way around. 650 hp is a lot to ask out of a 60 IMO, and it needs to be spot on to survive that kind of punishment.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Restricted User

Same thing i was thinking. If he is an expert than why is not not telling u what parts to use.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the info. its not that my mechanic doesnt know what hes doing, im just the type to research all available parts and make a decision. after looking at the level 2 performabuilt that seems to be a better decision.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When your talking about parts, you really do get what you pay for!

Researching is really your best bet, and i know your doing that now.. But also, talk to each builder, and see who your the most comfortable with. If a builder doesnt know what parts to use, dont use them!

As for which parts are best, there is no definitive answer. Each builder will have some parts in common, but will use others in different areas. They will also use different assembly specs, and custom tweaks in their builds with everything from clutch setup, to shift kit preference.

Honestly, when talking specifically about vendors here, RPM Transmissions and Finish Line are the best! I have a T56 from RPM, and a 60e from FLT, and i can tell you from experience that both have UNBEATABLE customer service, and really know their stuff!!

Quick Reply: 4l60e performance rebuild kit