Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e what happened and what do I have to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e what happened and what do I have to replace?

Ok, I've only put about 700 miles on my all stock 01 TA swap into a 99 Jimmy after buying it.
And the trans went with very little warning. It had a very light shudder on shifts at parking lot speed twice.
Then 4th went away a few miles from work 3-4 days later. Checked the level and limped it home with various odd shifting and wrong gear starts.
Not sure how many miles on the trans since I just bought it and it's used. But maybe 70K from what the previous owner said. - he also said he didn't like 60e's....
Everything looks good in the trans except 3rd which is crispy w/scored steels and 50% of fiber gone from the few plates I checked. The TransGo sep. plate has slight check ball wear on two holes. And the pump has some scoring. I didn't check the VB yet with all the trash from 3rd.
On my last 60e I destroyed 3rd and the pump was still perfect. There's a lot of Al. flakes in the oil but not near the amount of clutch material compared to my last trans.
The rest of the installed fibers look ok but some maybe discolered slightly. It has a beast shell and a black anodized boost valve that measures .472 and .50x on the two lands. I don't know which land to measure to get the correct size. It has two ridges between the lands and single groove on top flat section of sleeve.
So did the pump scoring cause a valve to stick and 3rd to go from pressure loss?
And can I clean the solenoids or do I have to replace all the solenoids with the $150 kit?
The trans looks good compared to my previous 60e that I took apart at 85k. Just 3rd and the pump damage.
I already have a new 11" LS1 converter and all the fibers and bearings from a abandoned 700r4 project and will buy a TG HD2 kit. I only plan on maybe another 10k on this trans until I do a 4l80e swap w/76mm mid mount turbo. So I'd rather not spend the extra $180 for the solenoids and press manifold if I can help it.
I wasn't expecting the pump damage so that's $300 I didn't plan on.

Last edited by TurboS10; 06-03-2011 at 01:11 AM.