Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting my 4l60 back together and everything is going well but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting my 4l60 back together and everything is going well but...

I'm not having much luck lowering the clutch assemblies back into the transmission. My rebuild manual says lower the 3-4 clutch assembly and the low reverse assembly into the case and move it clockwise and counterclockwise. It doesn't work, and I don't want to damage the clutch plates.

Any trans rebuilder care to part with some advice on how to do this? I think I got it down about 4 clutch plates, but I have nine! Then I have the sungear to mate to. I just can get them to line up an they seem to get messed if I move it too much.

Damn this takes patience.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 AM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedy
I'm not having much luck lowering the clutch assemblies back into the transmission. My rebuild manual says lower the 3-4 clutch assembly and the low reverse assembly into the case and move it clockwise and counterclockwise. It doesn't work, and I don't want to damage the clutch plates.

Any trans rebuilder care to part with some advice on how to do this? I think I got it down about 4 clutch plates, but I have nine! Then I have the sungear to mate to. I just can get them to line up an they seem to get messed if I move it too much.

Damn this takes patience.
yes it takes patience, and is not an easy job or everyone would be doing it. there is no easy answer just turn and shake the input housing until they line up and seat. The sun gear is not a variable to worry about. the Lo rev is in the botton so if it does not stack then then the support wont go in. after that it is all the top half stack. Either way you need a better source for transmission assembly.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM

I think the op meant to say rev input not low reverse. I normally install the input first and then the rev input second. I will kind of hold the input shaft and support it while turning, wiggling, rotating etc.... When I say support I kind of mean hold it with some upward pressure and let the clutches line themselves up as you turn it. This way the disc's fall into place a little easier. When you think you have the drum all the way down lift it a little and then drop it back down. You should hear a pretty good thump/thud.. as the sun gear hits the bearing in the planet. If you do not hear this you are still stuck on one of the last friction plates. After this lower the rev input drum into the trans and repeat the wiggle twist rotate... process until the drum is all the way down and it being supported my the sun shell. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I apprectiate the input. Thanks. Reverse input/low reverse is right Vince. I was pretty tired last time I tried to get it in. I'm going to make a fresh start this weekend and see if I can get it right. If it doesn't work I'm going to try your method Vince. I just don't want to hack the clutch teeth all up and have to start over again.

Quick Reply: Putting my 4l60 back together and everything is going well but...