Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalls in dirt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalls in dirt?

the past couple days i have been reading about stall converters non stop and pretty sure im going to go with a 2600-3000, the only thing i havnt seen anyone post about is how they do in dirt/sand? i live in a rural area and have a dirt driveway which is also a pretty bad hill (hell trying to get out in the winter with non 4wd vehicles) and mostly every house i would be going to has a dirt/sand driveway.. but mine with the dirt AND the hill is the main concern.. will it be a PITA to get out without tearing it up everyday?? if so i may hold off on the stall
Old 06-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Teching In

surely SOMEONE has driven a stall in dirt or sand? just lookin for a "sucks" or "not bad"
Old 06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I can't talk about the sand aspect but I can about snow,how/if that relates to sand I don't know.
With my Z with the OEM 3.23s' and OEM 1800 stall,when you're sitting in snow (vehicle not moving) and drop it into drive,the rear wheels started spinning immediately and had to press on brakes harder to stop the spinning. Release some pressure on the brakes with the hope of getting the vehicle to move and spinning starts again.
With the OEM 3.23s' and TCI 2800,droppimg into gear would not cause that immediate spinning and applying very little gas would allow the vehicle to start moving. The higher stall actually helped in taking off in snow just like a manuals ability to engage the clutch.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM
-M-

If your dealing with dirt/sand soft enough to have trouble with any car/truck, your going to face traction issues with a stall...

if its packed pretty tight, you SHOULDNT have an issue, then again I hated Sorrycuse and got the eff out in less than a year.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

ha, stupid me moved to the southwest and CAME BACK

thanks for the info
Old 06-25-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything it will be easier like the mentioned about the snow. I found it easier to drive in the snow as well with a stall for the same reason. If your going with a lower stall then the car will still want to move forward without touching the gas. i dont see any issue at all honestly, The car is going to drive and feel pretty much the same at super low speeds on a dirt road with a stall or without one