Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke

Anyone know the part numbers required to switch the Camaro version of the 6L80 over to a slip yoke. Or know of anyone that is doing that?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jay
Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

The 6L80 has the same 32 spline pattern as any turbo400 or 4L80. So almost any 3/4 ton or bigger GM truck should have the slip yoke that you need. As long as the Ujoints are the same size. But make sure you don't get one from a truck with the 6L90. That's a 34 spline. I don't know if you do your own work or buy used parts, but this would most likely be the best way to go. Hope it helps.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zanthor991
The 6L80 has the same 32 spline pattern as any turbo400 or 4L80. So almost any 3/4 ton or bigger GM truck should have the slip yoke that you need. As long as the Ujoints are the same size. But make sure you don't get one from a truck with the 6L90. That's a 34 spline. I don't know if you do your own work or buy used parts, but this would most likely be the best way to go. Hope it helps.
Spline count is the same, a TH400 yoke will work, but the spline angle is not the same. Best to track down someone that knows Spicer etc slip yokes and get the right one if you want max strength. 6L90 isnt just 34 spline, its about 1 1/4" diameter.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'm interested in the part numbers if anyone has them. Even an exploded view of one of these transmissions would be helpful. And yes I would probably do this project myself if I could get the right information. But at this point, I’d be happy to send it somewhere to have it done too.

I've tried the dealership, they are clueless. I've tried about ever transmission place in Denver. Driveshaft places here don't seem to know either. I ended up buying the driveshaft for the 2010 Camaro that bolts to it. But I’m not a big fan of how it’s going to mount and the driveshaft place here said they would have to send it to California to have it altered for length since it spin welded. I’m willing to eat that purchase if I can get this transmission switched over so that I can use a standard driveshaft.

I’ve seen pictures in the Conversions and Hybrids section here at LS1 Tech before of someone’s swap that they had changed out the tailshaft with this bolted connect to a slip yoke. But I can’t remember who it was or even what car it was.

Unfortunately my whole project seems to be at a stand still till I get this figured out.

Cheers,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke-6l80.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

I was doing some looking and this thread has pictures of all the transmission in a new Camaro: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20654
Since the 6L80 is used in trucks and cars, they won't change it specifically for the Camaro. The trucks have a slip yoke, so theoretically you should be able to unbolt the flange on your output and just use a slip yoke in its place. Here is a part number that "should" work for you. 699-7685
If anyone can confirm what I'm saying, I know you would feel more comfortable about it.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Altitude 65
I'm interested in the part numbers if anyone has them. Even an exploded view of one of these transmissions would be helpful. And yes I would probably do this project myself if I could get the right information. But at this point, I’d be happy to send it somewhere to have it done too.

I've tried the dealership, they are clueless. I've tried about ever transmission place in Denver. Driveshaft places here don't seem to know either. I ended up buying the driveshaft for the 2010 Camaro that bolts to it. But I’m not a big fan of how it’s going to mount and the driveshaft place here said they would have to send it to California to have it altered for length since it spin welded. I’m willing to eat that purchase if I can get this transmission switched over so that I can use a standard driveshaft.

I’ve seen pictures in the Conversions and Hybrids section here at LS1 Tech before of someone’s swap that they had changed out the tailshaft with this bolted connect to a slip yoke. But I can’t remember who it was or even what car it was.

Unfortunately my whole project seems to be at a stand still till I get this figured out.

Cheers,
Jay
Try the Drive Shaft Shop. Sad that GM dealers cant come up with something: The truck 6L80E has a slip yoke for example 2WD Silverado. They come with both one and two piece driveshafts. The one piece has a slip yoke. It took 60 seconds to check that info .
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rsz288
It took 60 seconds to check that info .
Exactly my point! I was pretty disappointed with the dealer, but unfortunately those guys just aren't car guys. Since I couldn't tell them a part number or a year or model of truck to get the parts from, they couldn't come up with it on their own.

So hopefully if I keep this thread alive someone who has done this will see it.

Thanks guys!
Jay
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly my point! I was pretty disappointed with the dealer, but unfortunately those guys just aren't car guys. Since I couldn't tell them a part number or a year or model of truck to get the parts from, they couldn't come up with it on their own.

Thanks guys!
Jay
2007 Silverado 2WD has a slip yoke on the one piece drive shaft.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys!
Jay
Jay,

It's not that they are not car guys, it's the system they have to use, number of models they have to deal with and the way they normally look up parts for shop.

They need to know year and model of vehicle, and if transmission or engine, the code LETTERS for them as model may have more than one engine or transmission used for that year.

Before I walk into parts dept, (I don't call them) I know that information. If I can get a Caddy dealership parts man to look up 6L80E and 6l90E parts numbers for me, you should have no problem with a Chevy dealer, I don't and Caddy parts man just took a little more looking pitiful and telling him I was working on swapping trans into and older car...

You can find the information for 2010/2011 make and models on GM power train website. Most of the times that info is same for prior year models too, are close enough for them to find the part.

Another interesting fact is 6L80E gear ratios for trucks are slightly different from what the Corvette uses an if you think about it, it's easy to understand why.

Now when it comes to yokes for my A6 6L80E and my A6 based 4L80E, they are not alike. MY 6L80E one is huge compared to the 4L80E yoke....LOL

Name:  P3180055Small.jpg
Views: 8420
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  P3180056Small.jpg
Views: 10496
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  P1260390.jpg
Views: 8555
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  P1260384.jpg
Views: 8259
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone know the part numbers required to switch the Camaro version of the 6L80 over to a slip yoke. Or know of anyone that is doing that?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Jay
Jay,

Try PM'ing member here by the name of John McGraw. He did a G8 A6 conversion into a Chevelle wagon and had to convert it to slip yoke. It's not a simple cheap change either, if I remember correctly. Best to go with truck 6L80E instead.

Also read through RSZ228's thread and write down part numbers that might be of help to you later on.

Street and Performance (Hot Rod Lane) has a couple of 6L80E conversion parts that might be helpful also.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by poorhousenext

Try PM'ing member here by the name of John McGraw. He did a G8 A6 conversion into a Chevelle wagon...
Holy crap Poorhouse, that’s the build I saw. Just couldn’t find it for the life of me.

Digging around for close to 10 plus hours on the internet I came across a couple of part numbers and diagrams. One is for the Camaro’s version of the 6L80 and the other is for the Escalade version.

Makes it look simple, but it doesn’t show the output shafts. That’s where it could get a wee bit technical and a whole lot more expensive. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks guys, today is a good day. Haven’t had one of those in a while.

Cheers,
Jay
Attached Thumbnails Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke-camaro-6l80.jpg   Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke-6l80-cadillac.jpg  
Old 07-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Teching In

I was trying to source this 2 years ago and there were no people that could help me then. Now through my own research I figured that you would need to change the output shaft/drum Assy, the tail housing and bushing and seals, and the yoke. From memory these parts were around the $900 to $1000usd mark
So if you can source a truck trans and sell you're existing you would probably be in front. Otherwise do as I did and attach a machined down t400 truck yoke and fit a slip joint in the tai shaft. If you can find the parts to do this let me know as I still want to convert mine to a slip yoke like the truck trans.
Tomorrow I will dig up the part no.s that I collected and post them
Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68sstt
Otherwise do as I did and attach a machined down t400 truck yoke and fit a slip joint in the tai shaft.
I guess I'm not following. What is it that you did? Have any pictures?

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

I agree with 68sstt. I wouldn't screw around trying to convert the transmission, I would just sell the current one you have and buy one for a truck with 2wd. I was in the same boat over a 1 1/2 ago only finding 4wd versions of the 6l90e. I looked around and found a 2wd version for $800 and used it.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Teching In

I guess I'm not following. What is it that you did? Have any pictures?

Thanks,
Jay
Firstly i got a t400 bolt on truck yoke
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p230...32_spline.html
then i had to machine the yoke to replicate the 3 bolt yoke, it required some length machined off and a step machined from the inside at the trans end.
Then i got a slip joint installed in a tailshaft that i had made a per these 4x4 shafts.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c4_4x4_driveshafts.html
The only thing that has to be done is the alignment spigot on the end of the output shaft on the trans needs to be machined back to allow the u joint to fit. I'll try take some photos of my shaft and post.

Last edited by 68sstt; 07-20-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks 68sstt, I would be VERY interested in seeing some pictures.

My biggest dislike with the Camaro driveshaft is the center bearing. What I don't like about it is, that the bearing is fixed to the slip joint side and not the fixed side. It just doesn't make any sense to me and kind of the major reason I'd like to go a different direction now even after buying it. So putting a u-joint at the bolted trans connection and using one of their shafts, that don't require a center bearing, seems like a MUCH better idea.

The local driveshaft place jokingly said not to worry that we'd get it right the second time. I know he said it jokingly, but those words are haunting me right now.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks 68sstt, I would be VERY interested in seeing some pictures.

My biggest dislike with the Camaro driveshaft is the center bearing. What I don't like about it is, that the bearing is fixed to the slip joint side and not the fixed side. It just doesn't make any sense to me and kind of the major reason I'd like to go a different direction now even after buying it. So putting a u-joint at the bolted trans connection and using one of their shafts, that don't require a center bearing, seems like a MUCH better idea.

The local driveshaft place jokingly said not to worry that we'd get it right the second time. I know he said it jokingly, but those words are haunting me right now.

Thanks,
Jay
Heres a couple of pics[ATTACH][ATTACH]Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke-picture-004.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke-picture-001.jpg   Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke-picture-003.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Damn dude, that's slick!

So the hard part is getting the t400 bolt on yoke (I see it's on back order) and then getting it to fit huh?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Damn dude, that's slick!

So the hard part is getting the t400 bolt on yoke (I see it's on back order) and then getting it to fit huh?
Yeah i got my local machine shop to do the job cost me $40 i just gave him both yokes and got him to use the nut mounting surface as the reference point then he machined the end off the splined section and also machined off some of the internal splines to exactly replicate the 3 bolt yoke dimensions.

Phil
Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by altitude 65
i'm interested in the part numbers if anyone has them. Even an exploded view of one of these transmissions would be helpful. And yes i would probably do this project myself if i could get the right information. But at this point, i’d be happy to send it somewhere to have it done too.

I've tried the dealership, they are clueless. I've tried about ever transmission place in denver. Driveshaft places here don't seem to know either. I ended up buying the driveshaft for the 2010 camaro that bolts to it. But i’m not a big fan of how it’s going to mount and the driveshaft place here said they would have to send it to california to have it altered for length since it spin welded. I’m willing to eat that purchase if i can get this transmission switched over so that i can use a standard driveshaft.

I’ve seen pictures in the conversions and hybrids section here at ls1 tech before of someone’s swap that they had changed out the tailshaft with this bolted connect to a slip yoke. But i can’t remember who it was or even what car it was.

Unfortunately my whole project seems to be at a stand still till i get this figured out.

Cheers,
jay
do you still have the three bolt yoke to the 6l80e? If you do how much will you sell it for.

Quick Reply: Camaro 6L80 switch to a slip yoke