Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic/info request: M6 -> A4 floorpan blockoff plate for shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pic/info request: M6 -> A4 floorpan blockoff plate for shifter

I've read a good deal of the M6 -> A4 swap threads, and the part that still baffles me a little bit is the blockoff plate for the hole in the floor where the M6 shifter was, and positioning the new (stock, in my case) shifter.

Is it as simple as molding a thin piece of sheet metal to the contour of the floorpan, then drilling holes to mount the stock shifter? For what it's worth...I seem to have lost (maybe thrown away) the lower rubber shift boot that I see mentioned being used for reference to make the plate.

If anyone has pics of the plate they made, it'd be helpful.

I read this post in a sticky, and it kind of sounds overly complicated, maybe just due to the high level of detail describing the process.

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this with my M6 to TH350 swap.. All I did was buy a square piece of sheet metal & traced the pattern of the rubber dust cover (one that's bolted to the floor tunnel) on to the metal plate.. You can just get a piece of cardboard & make a template of the opening if you lost your boot..I also marked lines to reference where the bolt holes are all at, then simply cut out the pattern & drilled the holes.. You will have to slightly bend the sides to contour to the floor tunnel, but it's easy.. Took maybe 30 minutes total start to finish.. You might also put a bead of rtv around the plate to make a good seal from the elements.. I will try to post some pics tonight.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MM98
I just did this with my M6 to TH350 swap.. All I did was buy a square piece of sheet metal & traced the pattern of the rubber dust cover (one that's bolted to the floor tunnel) on to the metal plate.. You can just get a piece of cardboard & make a template of the opening if you lost your boot..I also marked lines to reference where the bolt holes are all at, then simply cut out the pattern & drilled the holes.. You will have to slightly bend the sides to contour to the floor tunnel, but it's easy.. Took maybe 30 minutes total start to finish.. You might also put a bead of rtv around the plate to make a good seal from the elements.. I will try to post some pics tonight.
Exact same way I done it, but I cut the piece out of a stock Firebird hood
Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go man.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks. Looks plenty easy...famous last words, I suppose.