Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small leaks at trans cooler - what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small leaks at trans cooler - what can I do?

Hey guys. I have a b&m cooler with the 1/2" NPT threads [can't remember exact model]. It has a small leak at one of the adapters. As it stands right now, it is stepped through a few adapters to make it work. I got some new 1/2" NPT to 3/8 barbs I am going to be putting in there to see if that will help. That way it will be just cooler directly to hose not cooler > size adapters > hose.

Is there something I can put on the threads either before or after install to make sure it doesn't leak this time around?? I'm hoping it was just leaking at the adapters rather than directly at the cooler. Should I use some teflon tape or maybe a certain kind of RTV? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu_x24x
Hey guys. I have a b&m cooler with the 1/2" NPT threads [can't remember exact model]. It has a small leak at one of the adapters. As it stands right now, it is stepped through a few adapters to make it work. I got some new 1/2" NPT to 3/8 barbs I am going to be putting in there to see if that will help. That way it will be just cooler directly to hose not cooler > size adapters > hose.

Is there something I can put on the threads either before or after install to make sure it doesn't leak this time around?? I'm hoping it was just leaking at the adapters rather than directly at the cooler. Should I use some teflon tape or maybe a certain kind of RTV? Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Use some Teflon thread sealer on the threads. Loctite makes it.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Use some Teflon thread sealer on the threads. Loctite makes it.
Awesome. I'll have to look into that. Hopefully when I get rid of all the size adapters and just have the 1 fitting it won't leak but who knows. I'll see about buying some of this sealer before I tackle the project. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

even with teflon sealer i sometimes get seepage bet. the cooler threads and the fitting-i have used JB weld on the threads, as well as other troublesome fittings, def stop leaks