Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R and ZF questions form a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R and ZF questions form a newbie

I am new to this forum I have been reading for a week or so but just signed up today (been saving up my questions)

I am doing a 1980 c3 corvette engine swap (well not really it didn't have engine or tranny) with a ls6 engine it seemed like a good idea at the time but boy do these things have a lot of electronics but that's another thread....lol My C3 had the 4 speed shift stuff which is sought after but I need a automatic , yes I know how to drive a stick I have physical issue with right leg and back and have to use only my left over 50% of the time to drive so I NEED the automatic. I do not want the electronic 4L60E tranny. I have a local guy who wants the 4 speed parts offering me what I think is a good trade, a set of t-tops which I need, the auto shift linkage and console and a used 700R which he says "slips on the top end" so I naturally assume that needs a full rebuild and I'd like to try to do a tranny rebuild myself which also helps my shoe string budget if I don't screw up. Is there some where to download a PDF manual with the parts drawing break downs for a 700R tranny ? I know form reading so far that the 700R requires a adapter plate for the flex plate to work is there anything else needed to use the 700R with a LS6 engine that I should be aware of ?

Second question and I am not sure how important this is since I can't find a ZF and don't know if I could afford one anyway but I'd still like to know for later. I know there are other 8 speed auto transmissions like Toyota that have seven shift points, but I would like to know about the ZF 8 speed transmissions with five shift points in a planetary style and claims of 11% better fuel mileage. Has anyone put a ZF 8 speed auto tranny behind a LS engine yet? would a adapter plate or new bell housing be required? how do you think the ZF tranny would hold up as daily driver around town and lead foot highway use ? anyone have a list of vehicles they where/are used in cause all the salvage yards ask what cars and year is it in?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM

The ZF units are going to get tricky for a number of reasons. Any of the 6 speed or greater geared units have a computer on the valve body. This computer is VIN# specific. With all the operating systems in these late model vehicles if the VIN numbers programmed in the modules do not match, then the vehicle will not even run. I build these units all the time and the only way we can do them is by ordering a valve body right from ZF. I would think that a better option for you would be to try to install a LS1/6l80e combo with wiring and all out of a donor vehicle. HTH Vince
Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Teching In

hummm.... I did not realize the ZF was computer controlled also I can't seem to get away for adding more electronic stuff I assume the computer on the valve body can't be flashed and reprogrammed so the added cost and aggravation defiantly put the ZF out of consideration I guess. Thanks Vince it's much better to find out now rather then later.

I will have to research the 6L80e I've only looked at the 4L80e before and didn't like it mainly because it was electronic.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Vince,
do all the 6l80e bolt straight up to the trans-axle or can I get one with the yoke for a drive shaft (still using old style axle)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Chevy 700r 30 spline is a good transmission for my 81 chevy c 10 w 350 bore 30 over

Quick Reply: 700R and ZF questions form a newbie