Sponsored by:

Shift Solenoid Code?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Solenoid Code?????

My bf's car threw a 0751 code

it said it was a SHIFT SOLENOID MALFUNCTION or STUCK OFF...

what does that mean? he just got a brand new transmission.. anything to worry about?
Old 03-12-2004, 09:12 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Does he have an aftermarket TC? Mine has thrown that code occasionally, usually in cold weather when it takes awhile for the tranny to heat up and shift to overdrive. In my case it's because the computer sees more rpms than it likes at shift time (I'm running a 3500 stall w/2.73 gearing.) Usually the MIL light will go off after several startup/cold driving cycles, or I clear it w/Autotap.
If stock converter then it could be the solenoid seal or internal problems (roughly paraphrased from the service manual- I'm NOT a tranny guru).
Luck.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes he has a PT4400.... and thats a big converter...

so does he need to do anything besides delete it?? we just had it tuned at MTI and it came on, on the way home from the tuning... we have a code checker, should we just keep deleting it??

his converter has been having ALOT of problems locking up...
Old 03-12-2004, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Mine has that as well on occasion and I have the TCI 3200 till this sunday Then its the PT 4400!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
yes he has a PT4400.... and thats a big converter...

so does he need to do anything besides delete it?? we just had it tuned at MTI and it came on, on the way home from the tuning... we have a code checker, should we just keep deleting it??

his converter has been having ALOT of problems locking up...
When it throws this code, it keeps it from locking up. So that could be some of the locking problem.

All you need to do is delete it with edit, or have the tuner delete it.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually the 0751 is the 1-2 Shift Solenoid failing to respond to the on/off call when activated. So it's not only blocking the lockup but it's probably blocking the shift from 3rd to 4th completely. When that gets set it might even lock you out of 1st gear as well but it's the least offensive of these errors.

This one is a timing error with the solinoid failing to turn on or off within a specified period of time after 3 attempts. Turn off the code prevents the lockout but it may also mask the fact that you just need to get the solenoid replaced before you completely miss a shift and hit the rev limiter too.

No one likes to mess with replacing these silly things but for less than $100 bucks you save yourself some uneeded hassel.

Rick