Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert 4L80E to 4x2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert 4L80E to 4x2

Does anyone have a parts needed list of what it would take to convert a 4x4 4L80E transmission to a 4x2. I would think output shaft, different end housing, but what about other parts? Can this be done reasonably??
Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Need some tranny guys to chime in here!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-4x2-help.html

this thread was useful to me, i did it myself. you have to disassemble the entire trans to get to the output shaft tho. i rebuilt mine in the process.

& make sure you dont overlook the orfice plug. i almost burned the tailhousing bushing & had to install it in the truck, PITA lol.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kSStamp09
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-4x2-help.html

this thread was useful to me, i did it myself. you have to disassemble the entire trans to get to the output shaft tho. i rebuilt mine in the process.

& make sure you dont overlook the orfice plug. i almost burned the tailhousing bushing & had to install it in the truck, PITA lol.
Thanks for the info..........it's funny, I did a search using the same as the title of this "4L80E 4x4 to 4x2 conversion" and got nothing!

Thank you!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mbaker3
Thanks for the info..........it's funny, I did a search using the same as the title of this "4L80E 4x4 to 4x2 conversion" and got nothing!

Thank you!!!
haha yeah i dc what anyone on here says search really sucks ***. but just shoot me a PM if you've got any questions.

you will also need a reluctor ring for the rear planetary and the rear VSS.

many people will say you can only buy the entire 2x4 planetary, but no, the 4x4 one works & you will just need to source the ring and tap it on when your in there replacing the output shaft. i think transmissionpartsusa.com was where i got mine. some site similar to that. altogether its not that bad if you take your time. got a whopping 0.6 miles on mine in my LQ4 swapped '82 GMC haha but its drove fine so far. good luck

Quick Reply: Convert 4L80E to 4x2