Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Ball Seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Check Ball Seats

Anyone have experience with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEPARATOR-PL...item3a628f0305
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used them in the past. They work if you do not want to replace the seperator plate. IMO just replace the plate and use torlon ***** and be done with it.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

I'm not looking for a cheap replacement more of a better longer lasting solution. I've been wanting to use the torlon ***** but separator plate wears them out. Steel ***** wear out the separator plate. If you use the torlon ***** and these seats nothing wears out. Well, not as much.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
I've been wanting to use the torlon ***** but separator plate wears them out.
Not sure where you got this info above but this is incorrect. I have never seen a torlon ball wear. Let me ask you this question. If the "new" hardened seat is harder than a factory plate how is that going to reduce the wear on a torlon ball? Thats BS! Keep in mind I have been in the trans business for 20+ years. No offence but I have been using torlon ***** for longer than most guys on this site have been able to drive. Use them with a new plate and you will be fine. I kind of laughed when I read what was posted in the link you provided. If and I do say if the torlon ball wears the plate it is minimal after 100K of use. I think that in itself proves their value in what they were designed to prevent.

The metal seats were designed for trans shops to use when they did not want to buy a new plate from the dealer. In most cases one or two seats would be very worn and this was cheaper than buying a plate. IMO a separator plate is pretty cheap and some torlon ***** fix the problem for the life of the transmission. If you want to use the seats have at it but I'm telling you that your over thinking it. That add is a sales pitch nothing more.

Last edited by Vince B; 01-24-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Thank you for the info. I've always been under the impression that the torlon ***** don't last as long because the sharp edges of the plate wear them down. I agree and can't see going through the trouble of putting in the seats. It would cost more in labor than to just replace the plate. So again thank you for the help and I am just going to go with a new plate and new torlon *****.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good info here, Vince really knows his *****....lol

Chris
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Thank you for the info. I've always been under the impression that the torlon ***** don't last as long because the sharp edges of the plate wear them down.
Before torlon ***** came out there were rubber ***** used and yes these did wear. I've personally seen it in Ford units and probably some others. I think this is a misconception of some guys in the industry or Internet readers. Just wanted to give you some solid info here. Good luck with your project.

BTW Chris I'm pretty good with shafts to!LOL

Quick Reply: Check Ball Seats